Main Menu

Wireless repeater

Started by Ian Blundell, February 01, 2012, 11:08:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Blundell

I need to add one to improve the signal strength at the far end of the office.  We are running a SonicWall TZ 210 wireless-N if that makes any difference but relocating it to a more central location isn't really an option. Any recommendations for make/model to use or avoid?
Thanks
Ian Blundell
BHB Insurance
35 users, TAM 10.7, Fax@vantage 7.2

Bloody Jack Kidd

I would lean toward keeping it in the sonicwall family - just for compatibility's sake.
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Mark

I agree with BJK.  I would also suggest just adding an access point instead of a repeater.
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Kenny Cruzan

What brand and model access point you recommend for two areas of building that overlap?  I have two Cisco WAP2000 's   They are great but when I move an ipad from one side of building to the other side, it dissconnects me from network and reconnects me.  Sure would be nice just to hand me off.
Kenny Cruzan
GSM Insurors
Rockport, TX
TAM 2013, Fax @vantage 9
Windows 2008 server, ATS Backup
eTFile 4.6.1.0, Citrix XenDesktop,
Citrix XenApp7.6
80 users, 100 employees, 15 offices
Dell R710's with XenServer

Jeff Golas

Ken, try the same config but use different channels (specify them as part of the config).

I've used the Linksys repeater with limited success...put one in my garage to help get signal from the house. It works but not as good as I thought it would.
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Mark

Quote from: Kenny Cruzan on March 07, 2012, 11:39:48 AM
What brand and model access point you recommend for two areas of building that overlap?  I have two Cisco WAP2000 's   They are great but when I move an ipad from one side of building to the other side, it dissconnects me from network and reconnects me.  Sure would be nice just to hand me off.

I have 4 Cisco Aironet 1130 (I think) AG access points in a school all configured with the exact same SSIDs, etc.  Everyone can pretty much roam with no issues at all.  All teachers have laptops and some have iPads.  One teacher prefers his Macbook over the school issued laptops.  No issues at all.  All using WPA2-PSK.
Mark Piontek, MBA

Mark

Quote from: Jeff Golas on March 07, 2012, 11:43:22 AM
Ken, try the same config but use different channels (specify them as part of the config).

I've used the Linksys repeater with limited success...put one in my garage to help get signal from the house. It works but not as good as I thought it would.

I believe I have channel set to auto.  I have done nothing with channels on these WAPs at this point.

EDIT:  I think when I setup a residential repeater for my neighbor, it did have to be on a different channel, but again, I'd stay away from repeaters all together.
Mark Piontek, MBA