Main Menu

Printers

Started by Bloody Jack Kidd, December 06, 2011, 08:43:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bloody Jack Kidd

Anyone had experience at work or home with Dell or Samsung entry-level B&W laser printers?

Looking for a personal network laser - basically just something that prints reliably, is cheaper than inkjet, and won't break the bank.
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Mark

No experience with those particular brands, but will tell you that I snatched a wireless Brother MFP for like $150 on Amazon about two years ago and have been extremely satisfied with it.

Can even scan and print from my android phone.  Have only replaced the toner once and that was just earlier this year, maybe the beginning of summer or so.  We print a lot too.  I feel like my wife prints everything, I was printing a lot of stuff for school, and the kids print coloring pages all the time.

Getting a black and white laser printer at home is definitely cost effective.

I can't recall the model number off hand and I can't log in to my wife's Amazon account to find the order, but it was basically the black and white model of this one: http://www.amazon.com/Brother-MFC-7840W-Laser-Multifunction-Center/dp/B0016ZQ566/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1323181497&sr=8-14
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Jim Jensen

I have a Dell 2205d. It works well and I like the quality and speed, but I don't know that it's cheap to run. Can't get any toner cartridges except for Dell. My local toner supplier sends me Dell cartridges. I don't know if they are reman/reprocessed or not - I don't think so because it wasn't much cheaper than buying at the office supply store or online.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Jeff Zylstra

My only experience with cheap lasers is to stay away from the ones that have a separate toner and drum.  We had an at home employee a few years ago who had one of these things, and it was pretty expensive to run when you considered the drum needed to be replaced with every other toner.  I came to the conclusion that it was only slightly less expensive to run than an ink jet.   

You could also probably pick up a used HP LaserJet printer pretty cheap.   I run an HP lasterjet 4 plus that has hundreds of thousands of prints on it, and still works just fine.  They're the Ford Taurus of printers.  Millions around, parts are cheap and so are toners.   The last few printers that I've bought have all been used HP LaserJets, including a used 4700 color printer, and I've been very happy with them.  If you buy a business class printer which costs a little more, the toner seems to be cheaper and the printer seems to last a lot longer and need less service as well.  JMO.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Bob

I use Dell and HP.   Dell printers are repackaged Lexmark and Xerox printers.  I've not had any problem finding better ink deals than Dell.  Staples is primarily where I get mine but also found in most office supply stores these days.  I also live in the Bay Area where we can find most anything.   I've been happy with mine.  :)

Jim Jensen

Quote from: Bob Connor on December 06, 2011, 11:11:59 AM
I use Dell and HP.   Dell printers are repackaged Lexmark and Xerox printers.  I've not had any problem finding better ink deals than Dell.  Staples is primarily where I get mine but also found in most office supply stores these days.  I also live in the Bay Area where we can find most anything.   I've been happy with mine.  :)

Perhaps the toner cost depends on the 'newness' of a printer model.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Jim Jensen on December 06, 2011, 12:23:24 PM
Perhaps the toner cost depends on the 'newness' of a printer model.

I've always thought that the cheaper the printer cost, the more expensive the consumables are.  Could be wrong on that, but it seems to be the case.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Bob

I agree with Jeff Z..  They can give you a printer for almost free but you'll pay more for consumables.

I have 3 Dell 3110dn color lasers and one 3115 MFD.   I also buy the high yield units.  They do go much farther than cheaper units.

Jeff Golas

Hint: go to the store. Find a printer you like...look up the toner #...go to toner section and see how much the toner is.

I bought a Brother MFC printer at a yard sale for $20...has wifi, duplexing, nic, etc. Thought I got a deal. Its out of toner and toner is $80. The printer was on sale I think for $100.

Now I'm using a Dell 1100? I got at a thrift shop for $5, and also 3 extra toners I got for $5 ea. I dont print much at home so this is fine.

Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Mark

Quote from: Jeff Golas on December 06, 2011, 04:43:55 PM
Hint: go to the store. Find a printer you like...look up the toner #...go to toner section and see how much the toner is.

That's my recommendation always.

I bought a Brother MFC printer at a yard sale for $20...has wifi, duplexing, nic, etc. Thought I got a deal. Its out of toner and toner is $80. The printer was on sale I think for $100.

I think we paid $30 or $35 for our toner from Amazon.  Can't remember if it was the high volume toner, but don't care.  I'm sure the OEM toner wasn't high volume and it lasted plenty long.
Mark Piontek, MBA

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Jeff Golas on December 06, 2011, 04:43:55 PM

Now I'm using a Dell 1100? I got at a thrift shop for $5, and also 3 extra toners I got for $5 ea. I dont print much at home so this is fine.

I wouldn't call that a printer, I'd call that device and "ink kiosk"!  ;D

Bloody Jack Kidd

resurrecting an HP LJ 4+ ... that should do the trick, next step is getting it on the home network, since it only has serial and parallel interfaces.
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Bob

Maybe you can find an old jet direct for print server?

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Bob Connor on December 07, 2011, 11:27:59 AM

E-bay and Craigslist to the rescue!

Mark

Quote from: Jeff Zylstra on December 07, 2011, 11:59:40 AM
Quote from: Bob Connor on December 07, 2011, 11:27:59 AM

E-bay and Craigslist to the rescue!

AU to the rescue!  Is a j7934a or a j6057a of any use?
Mark Piontek, MBA