wmiprvse.exe realling slowing me down

Started by Lance Bateman, November 15, 2011, 05:24:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Bateman

I logged on as local admin, it was running though not hogging the CPU; stopped it and it came right back. IT logged on to the network from my computer, ended it, and it came right back. It's only hitting my computer.

As I seem to be the only problem child, I guess the next step is wiping the computer and then re-installing.  Until he decides to do that (he apparently has no images to use), I guess I get to stumble through.  Yes, I'm frustrated as I would expect any staff person to be when I was doing sys admin at all prior employers.

Jeff Zylstra

I would download and run process explorer next.  In case you aren't familiar with it, it is a much more capable and in depth view than task manager gives, letting you see what other files and/or services are interacting with wmiprvse.exe.  You don't even need to install the process explorer.  Just download it to your desktop and click on it, and it gives you a graphic view of what's happening by clicking on wmiprvse.exe in the list of files. 
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop