Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Golas

Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Jeff Golas on October 26, 2011, 03:21:34 PM
Look up a guy named Bob Roberts...if you email him, I'm sure he can send you to someone local that can fix it on the cheap. He is sort of a retired electronics legend in the coin-op world and lives right in N'awlins. Tell him one of his customers referred you even though its not really a coin up related thing.

(He sells parts like capacitors, etc)

Jeff

Why does this sound like a Jimmy Buffet song? 
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Gene Foraker

Quote from: Jeff Zylstra on October 27, 2011, 09:30:32 AM

The trick with soldering electrical is getting the right amount of heat without frying the plastic circuit board and/or other components around what you're soldering.   Almost like "dropping" solder on the joint.

Yikes!  That is a bad analogy.   Nothing like dropping solder on the joint.  That will guarantee a bad connection.   You have to never touch the solder to the iron to melt it but heat the joint enough to melt and absorb the solder.
Gene Foraker CPCU
Gates-Foraker Insurance Agency
Norton, OH

My posts are a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Gene Foraker on October 28, 2011, 11:38:35 AM
Quote from: Jeff Zylstra on October 27, 2011, 09:30:32 AM

The trick with soldering electrical is getting the right amount of heat without frying the plastic circuit board and/or other components around what you're soldering.   Almost like "dropping" solder on the joint.

Yikes!  That is a bad analogy.   Nothing like dropping solder on the joint.  That will guarantee a bad connection.   You have to never touch the solder to the iron to melt it but heat the joint enough to melt and absorb the solder.

It is a bad analogy.  You really have to apply some serious heat to a plumbing joint compared to an electrical connection.  Applying that same amount of heat would result in total destruction of the components which is what I meant to say.  Sorry for the confusion.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Jim Jensen

I can roast a brass & copper connection quite fully, so probably best to keep me away from circuit board soldering.

I helped a plumber one day, using MAPP gas instead of propane, which I was used to using. MAPP is much hotter - roasted the copper so hot it wouldn't bond with the solder. You gotta move fast with MAPP gas.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Jim Jensen on October 28, 2011, 02:22:07 PM
I can roast a brass & copper connection quite fully, so probably best to keep me away from circuit board soldering.

I helped a plumber one day, using MAPP gas instead of propane, which I was used to using. MAPP is much hotter - roasted the copper so hot it wouldn't bond with the solder. You gotta move fast with MAPP gas.

I was having trouble soldering a shower valve in place, so I went out to get some MAPP gas for the additional heat.  It turned out that the shutoff valve wasn't seating fully, and the pipe still had water in it.  Once I drained the pipe and stuck a chunk of bread in the pipe to block any residual water, it worked fine.