Main Menu

NAS for VM Backup

Started by Mark, October 24, 2011, 09:27:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billy Welsh

I just don't understand why disks are not the standard.  The prices are way down, you can set up RAID arrays with hot-swapping, and they are quicker.
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect

Mark

Quote from: Billy Welsh on October 24, 2011, 12:46:06 PM
I just don't understand why disks are not the standard.  The prices are way down, you can set up RAID arrays with hot-swapping, and they are quicker.

Dunno.  I wonder the same.
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Hans Manhave

So far we have been doing fine with the Imation RDX system of hard drives to backup.  I regularly use the backup to recover something, look up in short time history, or just use while others are tying up a file in real time.  Disks transport easily, appear to be able to handle the Texas summer temps on a vehicle etc.  I do have a secondary external device for it also so I can restore on other machines. 
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Billy Welsh on October 24, 2011, 12:40:12 PM
Quote from: Jeff Zylstra on October 24, 2011, 11:55:49 AM
Mark, a lot of things could happen in Wisconsin.  You have tornadoes, and earthquakes are still a possibility as well.  Illinois can tell you about earthquakes.   You could suffer a catastrophic beer shortage, or your favorite football team could lose a game and be kicked out of BCS contention and riots could ensue.  Sorry, Mark.  I don't think you're a rabid college football fan, but I know that Billy is a rabid LSU fan.  ;) 

I didn't literally mean the "grab it and run" part,  but I did pull my server out and take it home once out of fear of it being destroyed.  I've never run my network by doing this, but there is some "plug and play" type benefits if you could make it happen.  My doomsday location is the basement of my house.  There is enough room there for emergency operation of our agency, and I do have an old server there that I could plug in and run a network from using again, old workstations.  Not optimal, but feasible.

Just wondering what everyone will be doing for the NCAA National Championship on 11/5?   ;D   "Rabid" is a stretch but I do get quite excited about LSU football even though I am not an alum because like so many things in this goofy state the success should have happened long ago.  The talent was always there but the administration/coaching were sorely lacking.  So it is gratifying to see LSU football where it should have been years ago.

For Katrina, grab it and evacuate was part of the plan.  On Friday evening the word from everyone - Hurricane Center, FEMA, local gov't, state gov't, local weather guys, and landlord - was to keep an eye on it just in case but it was NOT going to be an issue for New Orleans.  Less than 24 hours later they ALL did a 180 and told everyone to get out.  Once I had my personal affairs in order and a safe place to sleep (which took HOURS to find), I went to the office to get the server.  And guess what?  Based on their standard published procedure, the building had been locked down.  NO EXCEPTIONS.  I called the manager who I know well and all she could say was "sorry."  So I had to leave the server at the mercy of the storm.  Luckily it was unscathed, but it was 2 weeks(!) before I could get it and confirm that.  In the interim I learned that tape backups can be very unreliable.  And many other things.

I love college football because of its unpredictability.  One day you're talking trash, the next you're picking yourself up off the ground.  I really don't like it when players talk trash, so I was predicting that Michigan State would get their "come-upance".   I also like Wisconsin and their coach, so it gave me no pleasure to see them go down. 

I will absolutely be watching the Tigers vs Bama.  As you know, both Nick Saban (former Michigan State coach) and Les Miles (former Michigan assistant) have deep ties to the state of Michigan.   Since I'm with 99% of the rest of the world and hate Saban, I say GEAUX TIGERS!   Besides, you just gotta wonder what the Mad Hatter is going to do next! 
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Billy Welsh

Well, I can't say I like the fact that we had to go to Michigan to get our program right!   ;)

And I am no longer a fan of Saban, but I do give him credit for his results and for getting LSU where it is.  He obviously has some serious character flaws and I would not want him back, nor would I want him coaching my kid.  I initially had my doubts about Miles (and even now I question his sanity sometimes), but it is no longer true that he is benefitting from Saban's kids - they are all long gone and the success has largely continued so he gets some kudos too.

I too love college football because of the unpredictability.  There are a lot of kids playing from the heart as opposed to playing for a potential large NFL paycheck which gives you the big upsets.
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect