Clean Up Company Codes

Started by Sara Lieser, February 01, 2012, 06:53:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sara Lieser

Through the years we have ended up with multiple company code entries for a single carrier.  We now want to clean up our company side of TAM - has anyone done this?  If so, is there a "good" way to go about it or anything to watch out for?

Thank you!
Sara Lieser
Commercial CSR/Workflow
Mahowald Insurance Agency
Saint Cloud, MN
Epic 2014, 39 Users

Lance Bateman

I'm trying - if I could ever get accounting to respond to the list of suspects.
I ran to Excel for transactions and policies anything within our retention period (7 years, we purge beyond that).
Then did a vlookup from a list of the company codes used for those to the transaction and policy list.  Remember to look both at ICo and BCo.

If never used within the retention period - I marked the list of carrier codes and sent it to our accounting manager for his review before I delete them.

(If I don't get a response soon - they're coming off anyway).

Alice Mooney

What you could do is decide which code you want it to be, then use the Rename utility to rename the dups to that one code. I've had to do that with several and it worked quite well for our setup.
Epic 2018 Online
1000+ users

GeorgeW

We used to rename company codes, but had one that took over 12 hours to complete and haven't done another one since!
George Watson
AssuredPartners NL, Louisville, KY
Epic 2022 R2, MU2

Sara Lieser

What is the "ideal" state to have the company codes in?  Is it one code per carrier or do you allow one code per carrier per department?  For instance, we have Travelers for commercial and personal lines - do you whittle the code list down to just one code for Travelers?

Thank you,
Sara Lieser
Commercial CSR/Workflow
Mahowald Insurance Agency
Saint Cloud, MN
Epic 2014, 39 Users

Lance Bateman

We'll have one company code - but then several addresses for various reasons, which can create additional carrier codes but they don't actually show up in the "Company" list when woirking with billing screens.

brinkerdana

I've always seen one code for the billing company and separate codes for the issuing company so that name shows up on certificates of insurance, etc.

Just because I've seen it that way, doesn't mean its the best but when you write a bunch of contractors you need to show the issuing company.
Dana Brinkerhoff
Retired

Billy Welsh

Quote from: brinkerdana on February 02, 2012, 11:39:54 PM
I've always seen one code for the billing company and separate codes for the issuing company so that name shows up on certificates of insurance, etc.

Just because I've seen it that way, doesn't mean its the best but when you write a bunch of contractors you need to show the issuing company.

We do the same, Dana.  And we also follow Lance's practice - one billing company with multiple addresses.
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect

Gene Foraker

I seem to recall some time in the past when for proper set up for download, each sub-company had to be added and coded.   One master company might have 6 or 7 sub-companies and they required each to be set up.   The master company would use each sub-company as a different tier, either rating or underwriting.   Now, tiers are built into the rating system and there can be thousands.
Gene Foraker CPCU
Gates-Foraker Insurance Agency
Norton, OH

My posts are a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Lance Bateman

Gene, I "think" to handle the situation you have (like we do for Progressive) - under the one company code, you can add those to the one company code, in "address", with the company name in "Title" and the NAIC code entered for the specific sub-company.

Gene Foraker

Yes, I think that works now, but I seem to recall that somewhere in the past they had to have unique Company codes.   That may have been a requirement from the way the Company set up their download, not a TAM requirement.    I don't recall right now and we no longer have that Company.
Gene Foraker CPCU
Gates-Foraker Insurance Agency
Norton, OH

My posts are a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.