11.0 custom dec documentation

Started by Jim Jensen, October 17, 2011, 10:08:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Jensen

The custom dec page engine has been updated in version 11.0 to 32-bit. It's appearance is very different from prior versions. It's not a big deal for viewing/entering policy data. However, making changes to a custom dec is a big mystery - can't figure out how to do it. Getting there is the same, but once in the form, I don't see how to alter/add anything to a screen.

I went to the AS portal to find documentation on it and it appears that there is none to speak of. There is a bit of information in the help files (only if you search for it) while in TAM, but I still don't see how one is supposed to add any text or data fields.

Apparently there's a webinar on custom decs, but isn't labeled as version 11.0. I'll have to go find it.  The tech couldn't find any written documentation other than that brief help file entry.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Jan Regnier

Well, that sucks.......  shouldn't be that difficult to find information ESPECIALLY if they made a big change to the process.  How can Support NOT have that info?... >:(
Jan Regnier
jan.regnier@meyersglaros.com
Meyers Glaros Group, Merrillville, IN 26 Users
EPIC 2020, Office 365, Indio

Jeff Zylstra

Could it be something as simple as hitting the "insert" key?  I know - a hair brained approach, but once in a while you get lucky.  ;D
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Jim Jensen

Quote from: Jeff Zylstra on October 17, 2011, 12:58:12 PM
Could it be something as simple as hitting the "insert" key?  I know - a hair brained approach, but once in a while you get lucky.  ;D

I tried a few things like that, ctrl-insrt, shift insert, right clicks, etc. I'm sure it's something reasonably easy, but it's not on the menu bar!
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Jim Jensen

Quote from: Jim Jensen on October 17, 2011, 01:05:16 PM
Quote from: Jeff Zylstra on October 17, 2011, 12:58:12 PM

I tried a few things like that, ctrl-insrt, shift insert, right clicks, etc. I'm sure it's something reasonably easy, but it's not on the menu bar!

ok, I finally figured some of it out (completely by accident, of course). To add a field, double-click on the TextBox words at the top-right (see attached). Or double-click on the "label" to create text label. It just drops one in the top-left corner and you then move it to where you want it and resize it. It's a bit clunky, actually. Maybe someone else will accidently find a better way.
Jim Jensen
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Jan Regnier

Thanks for the "keys to the kingdom"....doesn't look very user friendly....  and you would think there would be some documentation on this.
Jan Regnier

Lance Bateman

On the "other site" - Graham posted a document with more complete documentation on the custom dec on 11.0 which may be of help.  Looks like (not sure) no problem if adding fields toward the end, not sure what would happen if you wanted to insert one in the middle of the form.

Jim Jensen

I don't know that there's any way to insert any lines between the existing items without having to individually move each field and label.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but that I have not stumbled upon by accident.
Jim Jensen
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

brinkerdana

Quote from: Lance Bateman on October 17, 2011, 02:36:20 PM
On the "other site" - Graham posted a document with more complete documentation on the custom dec on 11.0 which may be of help.  Looks like (not sure) no problem if adding fields toward the end, not sure what would happen if you wanted to insert one in the middle of the form.

Lance, could you copy Graham's post here or email it to me?

Thanks,

Dana Brinkerhoff
Retired

Lance Bateman

Can't post it here, it's apparently too large (I think screen shots).  It's on the other site under "TAM Online".  Or you can give me your email, and I'll send out what I saved from the site.

Bob

Print the file to Adobe PDF it will shrink in size and fit here.  :)

Lance Bateman

Jan Regnier

Thanks Lance....looks like I am going to need a Webinar on this one.  With this much change I can't believe they didn't put together some documentation.
Jan Regnier

GeorgeW

We had a custom dec. that wasn't working after the upgrade and it took the support tech quite some time to figure out the problem and then how to correct it.
George Watson
AssuredPartners NL, Louisville, KY
Epic 2022 R2, MU2

Jan Regnier

Quote from: GeorgeW on October 17, 2011, 03:59:59 PM
We had a custom dec. that wasn't working after the upgrade and it took the support tech quite some time to figure out the problem and then how to correct it.

I "Chatted" with support this afternoon asking for any documentation for TAM 11 and custom decs  - the tech simply stated what Jim said earlier....look at the HELP file...I told him that wasn't the info I was looking for.  He then sent me THAT info  & told me that Custom Decs "automatically transfer over" with 11.0.   I told him I knew that but I want documentation on HOW to make changes to existing custom decs...not how to make one - but info on how to make one with 11 would also be good info to have.    I haven't recd any additional info yet.  So, it looks like the Techs don't know any info either.
Jan Regnier

Lance Bateman

This is all too bad - and as much as we use custom decs, seems to confirm my thought of never jumping on one of Applied's N.0 releases.  Remember 9.0?  That was one almost a joke before the conference was over where they released it.

brinkerdana

Dana Brinkerhoff
Retired

Jim Jensen

I got another call from support this afternoon following up on this. The information in the help screens (search for 'custom dec') does have some information about how to add content to the screens by clicking and dragging the item onto the screen area. Go to the "Create a Custom Dec Page" topic, then follow the link to "Screen Generator" (don't search for this term). He said he would see about getting some information added in the download area, like a notation of the help screen or a link to the webinar about it, plus also see about getting the product documentation area updated and other content that they can add to documentation.

He also discovered that if you need to move a block of items (like inserting a line in the middle of a screen), you can 'lasso' several items using your mouse, or you can click-select multiple items by holding down the shift or ctrl key while you select them, then they will move together.
Jim Jensen
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Jan Regnier

That sounds positive...just would have been a good thing to do when it was released rather than when clients are trying to USE it!  How much time was wasted trying to figure it out!  Not that some time wouldn't be used up anyway even WITH documentation but it sure would be better trying to figure it out with it.
Jan Regnier

Jim Jensen

Correction to my notation - at current, the webinar is only available through Applied University. If you don't subscribe to this, you can't access it.
Jim Jensen
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

brinkerdana

So, do I smite the post for not liking the information or applaud the post for pointing it out? 
Dana Brinkerhoff
Retired

Jim Jensen

Quote from: brinkerdana on October 19, 2011, 06:58:05 AM
So, do I smite the post for not liking the information or applaud the post for pointing it out?

I'm just the messenger!! Hopefully they will get documentation updated shortly. A request was being made to make the webinar more accessible, but no promises were made. Personally, I prefer written documentation with screen shots to a webinar anyway.
Jim Jensen
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Jan Regnier

So....if I want to learn know how to use a feature of TAM due to a software upgrade/update  that I have been using for years I need to pay MORE to participate in a webinar since there is no written documentation made available with the changes to follow?  I want to use TAM with all it's features but unless I pay more (than I already pay) I have to stumble around trying to figure out how to make it work....great. :(
Jan Regnier

Jim Jensen

Quote from: Jan Regnier on October 19, 2011, 10:24:27 AM
So....if I want to learn know how to use a feature of TAM due to a software upgrade/update  that I have been using for years I need to pay MORE to participate in a webinar since there is no written documentation made available with the changes to follow?  I want to use TAM with all it's features but unless I pay more (than I already pay) I have to stumble around trying to figure out how to make it work....great. :(

Only temporarily - they are working to fix it. I'm disappointed that it took calls to documentation going, but it seems that they are at least listening and responding. I put my stones down a day or two ago.
Jim Jensen
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Jan Regnier

I'm just saying - that to make a change such as this one and provide little direction is not a good sign.  Would think Beta testers would have pointed this out to Applied.  And if they did - that's not good either.
Jan Regnier

Lance Bateman

And for us, the webinars are really a pain - time involved, plus they are often done at times we can't participate, and would have to watch a replay.  Give written documentation!

Jim Jensen

Quote from: Lance Bateman on October 19, 2011, 01:24:51 PM
And for us, the webinars are really a pain - time involved, plus they are often done at times we can't participate, and would have to watch a replay.  Give written documentation!

I expressed the same feeling, Lance. Some prefer seeing it in action in a webinar demonstration, but personally, I'd rather have it written to cut to the chase and quickly get the facts I need, possibly a screen shot or two to help.
Jim Jensen
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

brinkerdana

I like to have both.  See the webinar, even if just the recording then have written docs to back it up.

Dana Brinkerhoff
Retired

Billy Welsh

Quote from: brinkerdana on October 19, 2011, 06:58:05 AM

You'll have to smite Andy.
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect

Heather Reetz

You may all know this by now.  I've been absent for quite some time and ran across this post looking for something on custom decs.  Anyway, tomorrow there is a webinar on custom decs.  I have the PDF guide that has great instructions & illustrations, but it's too large to post.
Heather Reetz
Yes, there really is a Kalamazoo!

Hans Manhave

Welcome back, Heather.

For those who need it: http://www.appliedsystems.com/media/TAMwebinar__20120202.asp is supposed to have the info.

I wonder if "they" corrected the problems with the multi-page custom dec pages.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Heather Reetz

Heather Reetz

Jeff Zylstra

Ditto on the welcome back.  Hope you're a "regular" once again.  Not that I'm claiming anyone here is "regular" or even "normal" for that matter.  ;)
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Heather Reetz

Thanks again!  Maybe I'll get to be a little more "regular" for a while.  Heading into a slower season.  I've "lurked" a little here and there.  Usually in the last few minutes of the day, perusing the water cooler for some amusement.   :)
Heather Reetz

Jim Jensen

Quote from: Jeff Zylstra on February 01, 2012, 03:17:41 PM
Ditto on the welcome back.  Hope you're a "regular" once again.  Not that I'm claiming anyone here is "regular" or even "normal" for that matter.  ;)

Excercise makes me quite 'regular'  :-X
Jim Jensen
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Andrew Carrick

Jelf Insurance Partnership
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
Me and TAM used to have a thing but we've split amicably. She got the kids, I got the Camaro and the maid.