Change Request vs. Deletion rights.

Started by Charlie Charbonneau, June 08, 2011, 10:45:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie Charbonneau

Ok folks, need you to weigh in for me please!  We're having the force users to use change requests vs let users have deletion rights debate at the moment, and the boss wants to know what everyone else is doing!   Do you force your users to do a change request on applications?  What for?  Add, Delete, Revise, all of the above?  Users are complaining that change requests take too much time, and the that the save to history only allows one save per date,  otherwise it's overwritten and this is an issue if they have to do multiple driver/vehicle/etc changes in a day.  We stopped doing change requests years ago and just let the users update the apps and manually save to history.  Now we're trying to get back to change requests and are meeting resistance(obviously).  Need all thoughts, ammo and procedures(E&O and the like) please!
Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

EPIC 2022, CSR24, Windows 2012 Hyper-V & 2016, Win10/11 Pro Stations, Sophos Anti-Virus.
.                .                 ..              ...

GeorgeW

Not sure I totally understand your question. However, in regards to them saying "the save to history only allows one save per date", that is not correct. It will prompt you if you try to save items with the same date that "history already exists, do you wish to replace" and from my experience you should always say "yes".  As far as I know, all that does is put an " * " in the "Replaced" column. It doesn't delete the original app saved to history.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
George Watson
AssuredPartners NL, Louisville, KY
Epic 2022 R2, MU2

Jeff Zylstra

We don't use them either.  With the quick processing of changes on company websites, I'm not sure it's as important as when you had to wait weeks or months for companies to send out the policy changes.  We also use the PDF copies of policies in E-Filing as our reference instead of the ACORD apps on TAM.  The companies download the changes to TAM on the ACORD side, so change requests don't need to update those screens, unless you are dealing with the interim period before the change is effective.  
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

brinkerdana

Change requests are a PITA.  Easier/faster to update app (if not downloaded) and save change to history.  Half the time they don't work anyway. 

Dana Brinkerhoff
Retired

Lance Bateman

I'll take the opposite side - for some of the following reasons:
1. If TAM not updated (apps not current) then reports are shibai.
2. Many of our carriers require, not available "onsite" from them.
3. We never rely on having access to docs from carrier sites, you may not have future access as needed by your regs and retention policy.
4. Change requests can be done from history, such as a change that applies not only to current policy and term but prior policy (may be different carrier) and term.
5. Change requests give the person processing the incoming endorsement a good place to check to see if it was done by the carrier correctly.

BTW - our "save to history" description is set up as "Carrier Code, Eff Date, B4, what changed".  Saves a lot of time searching for proper history.  Example:  FIH eff 03152011 B4 Add 2011 Toyo 1234

Also, I'm not positive, but I do believe if you "replace" a history, that app is no longer available.

GeorgeW

Just tested this because I've always said "Yes" to replace history.  Move an app to history with today's date and named "Test History 1".  Moved the app to history again with today's date and named "Test History #2" and answered "Yes" when prompted that history exists do you wish to replace.  Look in history. Both apps appear in history and "Test History #1" has an " * " in the "Replaced" column. Both apps can still be viewed.

Quote from: Lance Bateman on June 08, 2011, 02:20:46 PM
Also, I'm not positive, but I do believe if you "replace" a history, that app is no longer available.
George Watson
Epic 2022 R2, MU2

Lance Bateman

Thanks, George for doing that.  Are you still able to use the replaced one for invoicing, claim, or change request?

GeorgeW

Looks like you can do everything on the "replaced" item except a change request. Can only do a change request on the latest history app for a specific date (the one without the asterick).  Which makes sense.
George Watson
Epic 2022 R2, MU2

Billy Welsh

What happens if you answer "No" to replacing History - does it still save 2nd change or bounce you back to starting point with nothing of 2nd change saved?
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect

Lance Bateman

I'm pretty sure if you say no, you then have the chance to change the "good until" date, which guideline was always the next day.

Quote from: Billy Welsh on June 13, 2011, 06:15:10 PM
What happens if you answer "No" to replacing History - does it still save 2nd change or bounce you back to starting point with nothing of 2nd change saved?

GeorgeW

If you answer "no" to replace history it does just take you back to the window and you can change the date. I still don't see a problem with saying "yes", you lose nothing.
George Watson
Epic 2022 R2, MU2