Main Menu

WAHVE

Started by brinkerdana, May 25, 2011, 02:52:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brinkerdana

Ijust completed the application and had an initial phone interview with WAHVE.  They match up retired/older(?) insurance agency folks with agencies looking for experienced, remote workers nationwide.

Wish me luck!

Dana Brinkerhoff
Retired

Bloody Jack Kidd

Sounds pretty cool.
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Lance Bateman

Great!  Now if we could just find some younger (ouch) people to come into the business.

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Lance Bateman on May 25, 2011, 03:07:55 PM
Great!  Now if we could just find some younger (ouch) people to come into the business.

Boy, I agree with you on that one!  No one sets out to be an insurance agent.  We definitely need to change that!
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

DebAmstutz

Quote from: Jeff Zylstra on May 25, 2011, 03:54:20 PM
No one sets out to be an insurance agent.

Does anyone really set out to be a used car salesperson?  LOL

A lot of the problem is the perception of what an insurance agent is and does.  If the job would be perceived more as helping protect peoples' assets, it may make the general public more aware of the career opportunity that it is.  Negative media attention on insurance companies doesn't help, though, and for all the good that the companies do, the one or two negative stories (usually because the insured did not take coverage offered but whined like crazy when a claim was denied) can make a company look very bad.
Deb Amstutz
Back in the TAM saddle again

Jeff Zylstra

I agree Deb.  Although, I am seeing some advertising and efforts by the national associations to change this, and a few of the local colleges and universities now offer various degrees in insurance.  It's a good start, but I think we need to do a lot more.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

DebAmstutz

True, Jeff.  There are two universities in Indiana that I know for sure have programs in insurance that are not actuarial in nature.  An agency in my chapter is literally down the street from one of those universities and they use interns from the insurance program in their agency.  It's a good deal for both the intern and the agency.
Deb Amstutz
Back in the TAM saddle again

GeorgeW

We have an intern now that is majoring in Insurance
George Watson
AssuredPartners NL, Louisville, KY
Epic 2022 R2, MU2

Alice

Good luck Dana! Hope it pans out for you  :)

brinkerdana

Dana Brinkerhoff
Retired

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Alice on May 26, 2011, 08:50:59 PM
Good luck Dana! Hope it pans out for you  :)

I'll second that!

brinkerdana

Thanks!

If all works out, I'll start after my return from the east coast in July. 
Dana Brinkerhoff
Retired

Jan Regnier

Dana

Keep us posted how that works out!  Good to know what's out there...
Jan Regnier
jan.regnier@meyersglaros.com
Meyers Glaros Group, Merrillville, IN 26 Users
EPIC 2020, Office 365, Indio

brinkerdana

Dana Brinkerhoff
Retired