Security on deleting prospects in 'move to clients'

Started by Jim Jensen, May 18, 2011, 10:46:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Jensen

I don't know if I simply changed some settings at some point (not unlikely) or it TAM is working a bit differently after upgrades (also not unlikely). I have security set so some people can't delete prospects. However, I found that I was a having several files appearing under both clients and prospects and they tell me they can't choose to 'Delete Records After Moving' when the move a new client from Prospects to clients.

1. Is this different than the past?
2. What's the general consensus about authority to delete prospects? I don't want to promote potential E&O issues, but we do have a lesser responsibility to prospects than clients.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

DebAmstutz

I don't think any updates other than a TAM upgrade would affect Security Manager, but what do I know?

By all means, give people ability to delete prospects or you'll have that list littered with the ones that have been moved to the customer file and that's not fun.  We have that here because people don't check the "delete after moving" box!
Deb Amstutz
Back in the TAM saddle again

Andrew Carrick

This was an effect of upgrade to v.10, we encountered it, and it was a pain. "This has been logged with Applied Systems as a bug."
Jelf Insurance Partnership
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
Me and TAM used to have a thing but we've split amicably. She got the kids, I got the Camaro and the maid.

Jim Jensen

Thanks Andrew for confirmation that Applied affected this. I suppose for a while I may temporarily allow deletion of prospects in order work around this. I saw a notation that 10.8 is affecting download is BOP policies, sending them to the wrong clients somehow and is to be fixed in 11.0. I really wish we would stop having to worry about workflows getting broken by updates and having to guess whether to make an upgrade or not and wait a good while each time before doing so.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Alice

The post says they discovered the BOP in 10.7 also when they released 10.8. Would be nice to have a firmer date on v11. Or will it coincide with TENcon?

Lance Bateman

Please, please - no deadline for the programmers to release something, or the quality control sucks.  Remember the "Got 9.0?" t-shirts that became a joke even before TENCon was done that year?

Quote from: Alice on May 18, 2011, 01:48:02 PM
The post says they discovered the BOP in 10.7 also when they released 10.8. Would be nice to have a firmer date on v11. Or will it coincide with TENcon?

Andrew Carrick

Quote from: Jim Jensen on May 18, 2011, 01:28:46 PM
I suppose for a while I may temporarily allow deletion of prospects in order work around this.

We did this, and despite my fears that it would lead to chaos, it worked out OK, users were not told they had the ability to delete Prospects, so they don't try.
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
Me and TAM used to have a thing but we've split amicably. She got the kids, I got the Camaro and the maid.

Jim Jensen

Quote from: Alice on May 18, 2011, 01:48:02 PM

They heard about the upcoming rapture and decided to put off the release date so they wouldn't have to actually do it all for a waste.
Jim Jensen
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

mblack

Interesting thread.  We always used the "delete Prospect when moving to Customer".  About a month ago we lost the client in the move and it was gone from the prospect side. This was at 4pm on a Friday.  We never had this happen before (we are on 10.5). Applied worked for awhile on one of the few times I had to cut them short as our office had an obligation in town which I needed to appear at.

Anyway we skipped all utilities for the weekend, ran our backups and Monday morning they reconnected and were able to find all the lost records for the account. They advised they have been seeing this happen and are suggesting users manually delete the accounts after verifying everything moved over properly.  I have to say, I was really surprised having done this process for more years than I can remember without ever having a problem with the process (yes a user might update an existing customer, but that's another story).

We are now leaving them on the prospect side after the move, adding a couple of XXX's to the beginning of the prspect name line and changing the marketing plan to MOV so I can delete in mass. It's too time consuming to manually delete. 
Margaret Black
mblack@ambins.com
Allan M Block Agency, Tarrytown, NY
ASCnet PAC - Customer / LEAD - Nominations
TAM 12.5.3 25 users, W2008 Server, Office 2007, Exchange, @vantage 9.0, Ezlynx Rating

Jim Jensen

I just moved and deleted one late last week and didn't realize I had an open activity yet. It was orphaned in the moved. It resided on my task list of activities due for work, but showed "Not Set" for Name. Couldn't close it, couldn't revise it. Had to re-add the prospect, close the activity, do the move again to move that activity.
Jim Jensen
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

GeorgeW

We have this happen frequently.  All I do is close the activity and then delete the prospect again. The orphan activity in prospects has always been in the customer already.

Quote from: Jim Jensen on May 23, 2011, 01:48:06 PM
I just moved and deleted one late last week and didn't realize I had an open activity yet. It was orphaned in the moved. It resided on my task list of activities due for work, but showed "Not Set" for Name. Couldn't close it, couldn't revise it. Had to re-add the prospect, close the activity, do the move again to move that activity.

George Watson
AssuredPartners NL, Louisville, KY
Epic 2022 R2, MU2

Andrew Carrick

Often find if a Prospect disappears during a move that recreating it as a "new" prospect will magically make all the lost material re-appear.
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK