Tam Error Interp Help

Started by Alice, May 17, 2011, 05:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alice

There is an error showing up repeatedly in the except.err log for one user who says she is not seeing anything pop up ever. I've searched the KB using just about every combo of search I can think of and nothing matches. If I use the Error Text alone there are 200+ and I really don't want to look at each one.
I've done the

Has anyone seen this and maybe knows what the user is doing to make it happen?

EXCEPTION DETAIL REPORT

Title      : Clntfile
Error Text : An error occurred while displaying detail.

Process          : F:\WINTAM\clntfile.exe 10.3.0.0
ASTamSvr Version : 10.4.0.6
Computer Name    : CIT41000016529
User Name        : luser
Time/Date        : 08:45:47 05/13/2011
Operating System : Windows XP Professional Build 2600 Service Pack 3
CPU              : Intel FUTURE Lev[15] Rev[4303] Num[2]
Physical Memory  : 58% free of 1964296 KB
Paging File      : 74% free of 3903388 KB

Sequence of Preceding Exceptions

Source : clntfile.frmEntityList.LoadDetailScreen
  Number :   2147745799 (Decimal)   80040007 (Hex)
  Desc   : Out of memory

Source : clntfile.frmEntityList.LoadDetailScreen
  Number :   2147745799 (Decimal)   80040007 (Hex)

Source : ClntFile
  Number :            7 (Decimal)   00000007 (Hex)

Lance Bateman

What would this person normally be working with - client files, prospect, accounting?
It could be too many "stickies" on a file being retrieved.
I've had it happen when there are too many records in the client policy history (over 1000).
I've also seen it happen on pc's and it had nothing to do with TAM - seemed to disappear if work station rebooted at least when finish work for the day.

Andrew Carrick

We've also had that Number 214... happen occasionally but just put it down to network problems, and it doesn't happen often. However my records note that it was associated with "ASWintamWord". Alice, is this the same user who didn't have an asword.dot file?
Jelf Insurance Partnership
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
Me and TAM used to have a thing but we've split amicably. She got the kids, I got the Camaro and the maid.

Alice

Lance - this is one of the data techs that only enter new customer info, new policy screens and new business attachments. No other areas accessed. I thought maybe she had multiple clients open b/c a while back the limit used to be 5 before errors would start or the computer would lock. But when I monitored her open files on the network, I didn't see anything unusual. There's been a round of viruses (virii?) in the insurance area so I'm also wondering if something is going on that may be using up the memory make that error happen.

Andrew - this user is in-house not remote, and she doesn't do letters. It's like this error is a combination or just parts of the errors I found in the KB.
I'm going to turn this over to 1st level support here and have them check the computer before I go any futher. Want to eliminate some stuff before contacting Applied since the user cannot provide me with any info. Just threw this out there to see if anyone had seen this error and under what circumstances.
Thanks guys!

Jan Regnier

Alice has this person been doing the same type of work a long time or is she "new" ?  Sounds like items may be being setup incorrectly.  Has anyone watched her workflow?
Jan Regnier
jan.regnier@meyersglaros.com
Meyers Glaros Group, Merrillville, IN 26 Users
EPIC 2020, Office 365, Indio

Alice

She's been here just about a year. And...ummmm...what's this "workflow" thing you speak of? ???
Still burns me that "they" don't have any. I once suggested to the supervisor that she have someone sit with a new user after 3 months, six months and a year, I got the same response I've been getting since I've been here - too busy, no time not enough staff to have one off the phone (or whatever they're doing). I once asked how Tam work is reviewed when performance review time comes around and was told it's not considered b/c there are no workflows to prove someone is not doing something right.
Sorry I go off like this every time it comes up. It just plain hurts to see the inefficiencies and I'm forced to look the other way.

Jeff Zylstra

Check and see if she has enough environment space, and make sure that Config.NT and Autoexec.NT are configured to Applied's specifications.  The shell command in config.NT is the important one.  Also, make sure that you delete all of the temp files as well.  I've seen some weird things happen because of corrupted and/or too many temp files, cookies, etc...

P.S.  I also think that this user may be offended by her user name too.  "luser" isn't a very nice name.   ;)

"User Name        : luser"
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Jan Regnier

Quote from: Alice on May 18, 2011, 11:04:46 AM
She's been here just about a year. And...ummmm...what's this "workflow" thing you speak of? ???
Still burns me that "they" don't have any. I once suggested to the supervisor that she have someone sit with a new user after 3 months, six months and a year, I got the same response I've been getting since I've been here - too busy, no time not enough staff to have one off the phone (or whatever they're doing). I once asked how Tam work is reviewed when performance review time comes around and was told it's not considered b/c there are no workflows to prove someone is not doing something right.
Sorry I go off like this every time it comes up. It just plain hurts to see the inefficiencies and I'm forced to look the other way.

Maybe you need to look "the other way" in regard to the error report - until she's in such a knot she can't work....  Management seems to be focused on the non-important things.  Suggest going back to typewriters! and paper files if they don't want to take the time to instruct employees on the correct workflows and usage of TAM.  They don't see the $$ wasted in the investment of the system by allowing it to be used so ineffectively? 
Jan Regnier

Jan Regnier

Quote from:
P.S.  I also think that this user may be offended by her user name too.  "luser" isn't a very nice name.   ;)
/quote]

I noticed that too, Jeff....and had the same thought....or maybe it really is applicable? (sorry - that wasn't very nice of me....)
Jan Regnier

Alice

I originally replaced her user name with "user" and stuck the "l" in there to see if any one would notice. I certainly didn't mean any disrespect and I would not send it to Applied like that.
emo kid - no one understands me...too mainstream

Orlando Alonzo

Also check the path statement. TAM gets a little wacky if the Path gets too long.
Orlando F. Alonzo III
RPM Insurance Agency • Staten Island, NY • oalonzo@rpminsurance.com

Alice

Thanks Orlando. now on my list to check along with the config.nt and autoexec.nt. Possible a typo in there somwhere.

Lance Bateman

Alice - it sounds like your agency is well along the path of becoming the mess I was hired to clean up here.  Best wishes.  It sounds like much of supervisory/management staff need to be replaced or at least sent to E&O school - WITH A TEST!

(Talk to Marcia Priest, she saw much of what I was plopped into when she was brought in for a consult before they hired me).

brinkerdana

I've seen it, too, Lance!  Nice work for consultants...lots of hours doing clean-up!

Dana Brinkerhoff
Retired

Alice

well now...isn't this special.  Apparently this computer was relaoded because viruses could not be removed. No one thought to look at the documentation for reloading insurance computers and nothing was done in the autoexec, config and nothing added to Path statement. Very disheartening that I take the time to write all this stuff up and 1st level support doesn't use it. Then they pass it to me because they can't fix something. I shouldn't need to check the basics - our help desk is supposed to do that. Same thing with the remote user not being able to do Tam letters b/c no asword.dot where it needed to be.
Thank you guys for pointing me in the right direction.

Andrew Carrick

For those of us who've forgotten, can you remind us where to check the "path statement"?
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
Me and TAM used to have a thing but we've split amicably. She got the kids, I got the Camaro and the maid.

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Andrew Carrick on May 19, 2011, 03:22:57 AM
For those of us who've forgotten, can you remind us where to check the "path statement"?

My Computer - Properties - Advanced System Settings - Environment Variables.  They used to be set by a PATH=%PATH%;C:\Wintam statement in Autoexec.NT.  That's an approximation, of course.

Of course if you're like me, you can also drop to a command prompt and type PATH at a c:\> prompt.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Andrew Carrick

Hull, East Yorkshire, UK

Jeff Zylstra

Jan Regnier

Well, Alice....that's called "job Security" for you!!   ;D
Jan Regnier

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Alice on May 18, 2011, 08:26:45 PM
well now...isn't this special.  Apparently this computer was relaoded because viruses could not be removed. No one thought to look at the documentation for reloading insurance computers and nothing was done in the autoexec, config and nothing added to Path statement. Very disheartening that I take the time to write all this stuff up and 1st level support doesn't use it. Then they pass it to me because they can't fix something. I shouldn't need to check the basics - our help desk is supposed to do that. Same thing with the remote user not being able to do Tam letters b/c no asword.dot where it needed to be.
Thank you guys for pointing me in the right direction.

Just hope it works.  TAM still has some old code in it, which relies on environment space to store variables and some other odd things.  If the environment space isn't large enough, or the path statement isn't correct, most things will work and some of the minor operations will bomb out.

Alice

Jan - I suppose but would rather be needed in other ways than always having to check someone else's work. Don't get me wrong - I'm extremely grateful I even have a job. If I ever voiced my opinion like I do in these groups, would have been gone long ago. There are times I get so frustrated that if I don't vent somewhere my head will explode (like those watermelons I saw on the news yesterday)

Jim - I think putting everything back to Applieds specs did the trick. The user has been working for about 90 minutes this morning and I see no errors in the log like I've been seeing the last couple weeks. So keeping fingers crossed.
I found out this morning that there's a virus going around here that hides files and they are not put back after virus is removed. Things like desktop icons and local profile folders are being hidden and need to manually unhide them. Anyone see that?

Orlando Alonzo

Quote from: Alice on May 19, 2011, 12:15:40 PM
I found out this morning that there's a virus going around here that hides files and they are not put back after virus is removed. Things like desktop icons and local profile folders are being hidden and need to manually unhide them. Anyone see that?

I've encountered it a few weeks. Malwarebytes and a combination of online scanners helped cleaned them. If you look around bleepingcomputer.com, there's a link for an unhide utility. The utility, however, unhides everything.
Orlando F. Alonzo III
RPM Insurance Agency • Staten Island, NY • oalonzo@rpminsurance.com

Jeff Zylstra

Jan - I suppose but would rather be needed in other ways than always having to check someone else's work. Don't get me wrong - I'm extremely grateful I even have a job. If I ever voiced my opinion like I do in these groups, would have been gone long ago. There are times I get so frustrated that if I don't vent somewhere my head will explode (like those watermelons I saw on the news yesterday)

Jim - I think putting everything back to Applieds specs did the trick. The user has been working for about 90 minutes this morning and I see no errors in the log like I've been seeing the last couple weeks. So keeping fingers crossed.

Are they open to suggestions AT ALL?   Sometimes it's just a communications issue with different styles of communication.  Women communicate different then men do.  In case you haven't noticed, men are very direct. Women usually aren't, and sometimes guys miss the point.  Maybe talking to another woman who has some power might help, but don't approach it like so and so is being obstinate.  Try asking if maybe your message isn't being understood, and saying the "things are going OK, but I think that we could do better".  No one likes bitch sessions, so if you approach it from this direction hopefully you might get somewhere.

Haven't heard of that virus yet, but did hear about one that encrypts any .DOC, RTF, .JPG or other image files (like .TIFs) and requires you to pay a fee for software to get them back.  Very nasty business.  If they're just hiding them, then consider yourself "lucky".  Clicking on "show all files" in Folder Options should solve those issues. 

Alice

In my recent performance review I was told I'm too direct in my questions and answers so now I don't say anything until I run it past my boss. I was never any good at fluff and if someone asks me a question, why would I answer in such a way that may confuse? But I just do what I'm told now.

About the virus hiding folders...they tried using the "show all files" and it didn't work. We've been getting hit hard lately with many different ones out there that I'm beginning to question (to myself) what's being used here to prevent all this. But it's not my area and I never have any issues (knocking on wood, crossing my fingers. etc) so it's all good.

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Alice on May 19, 2011, 01:06:52 PM
In my recent performance review I was told I'm too direct in my questions and answers so now I don't say anything until I run it past my boss. I was never any good at fluff and if someone asks me a question, why would I answer in such a way that may confuse? But I just do what I'm told now.

About the virus hiding folders...they tried using the "show all files" and it didn't work. We've been getting hit hard lately with many different ones out there that I'm beginning to question (to myself) what's being used here to prevent all this. But it's not my area and I never have any issues (knocking on wood, crossing my fingers. etc) so it's all good.

You and I would get along great.  I hate beating around the bush.  Don't be mean about it, but do spit it out already!   Just guessing that someone got their feelings hurt, or was threatened by insistent questions.  I don't mind tough questions.  I hate to see you give up trying, though.  Work is too much of your life to be miserable.  I hope you can work through it.

On the virus front, I doubt that any anti-virus/malware product is going to stop this.  My guess is that you have ancillary programs that are outdated and are being compromised.  Most likely Java.  I've always hated Java for a couple of different reasons -  1) they never remove their old versions before installing new versions, and 2) malware can execute commands on those old, vulnerable versions that can affect other data, programs and the Windows OS.  Now how stupid is THAT!?  I found a VBS program that is supposed to remove all old versions of Java from a computer, and I will make another post with that link and article.

Jan Regnier

Quote from: Orlando Alonzo on May 19, 2011, 12:29:48 PM

I've encountered it a few weeks. Malwarebytes and a combination of online scanners helped cleaned them. If you look around bleepingcomputer.com, there's a link for an unhide utility. The utility, however, unhides everything.

That site also had the file that puts back the missing files in the registry.  Robin pointed me to that area.

This is info I found on what to do if you encounter the Fake AV:

"Immediately do the following:

Do not touch any browser window to close it or browse further

Immediately press Ctrl-Alt-Del and bring up Task Manager and forcibly end all instances of iexplorer.exe if using Internet Explorer, or the executable for your browser for any other web Browser

OR

Go to Start/Shut Down and restart the PC without touching any browser windows.

If you used Task Manager to close browser instances, reboot machine.
Then go to Control Panel/Internet Options and delete all temporary Internet Files and cookies.
If you are using an alternate web browser, open the browser settings to do the same - delete the local cached files and cookies"

So far this has worked has we have had it pop up 4 times in the past several weeks.
Jan Regnier