Network Monitoring

Started by Mark, May 02, 2011, 02:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark

Currently doing something I have been planning on doing for a many number of years (it probably feels like more years than it has been) -- implementing network monitoring with Nagios.

Yet another monitoring & alerting tool I wish to have at my disposal.
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Bloody Jack Kidd

I've been running Nagios for a number of years and I've been pretty happy with it.  Config is a bit tedious, but once setup, it does a pretty good job.  I think there is another called Centreon or something like that, based on Nagios, but slicker.
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Mark

We used Nagios in our capstone project and I hadn't touched it since (think that would have been 2008).  Capstone was on Prelude-IDS.

Just thought I'd start a discussion on it somewhere for the heck of it.  Might be eye-opening to some, or maybe I'll run into something later and I need to gauge what resources I have ;)
Mark Piontek, MBA

Mark

...and I just realized that I can use a comma separated list of hosts in my service definitions!  would have saved a ton of copy and pasting and editing had I thought of trying that before!! lol

Was doing it in hostgroups, and thought it should be applied elsewhere.
Mark Piontek, MBA

Jeff Golas

After 10 years of waiting...it'll prob take another ten years to get it tweaked the way you want lol.

I messed with Nagios for a bit, and while I thought it did everything I kinda wanted, it just seemed so tedious and mind numbing to screw with config files and what not just to see when the printer ran out of paper 11,000 times a day.
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com