HP Office Jet Pro 8500 Premier

Started by Hans Manhave, January 17, 2010, 08:22:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hans Manhave

I needed a new inkjet printer for the house.  One that was Win7 compatible.  The HP 8500 inkjet series has been on sale and so got an 8500 wireless.  After the 20 minutes that it takes to initialize (this is important to the story) it was ready for printing or any other adjustments I wanted to make through the network connection.  Having the energy saving feature turned on puts the thing to sleep after about 2 minutes.

However, the machine emits a squeal that I could not handle.  Just sitting there, doing nothing, it squeals.  When it goes to sleep, it squeals a bit softer.  So the only solution is to turn it off.  When you turn it on, it re-initializes everything all over again, but not for 20 minutes, but only 2 or 3.  Anyway this was no good, a printer should print when necessary.  I searched the internet and found that lots of people had this problem.  I didn't find a solution anywhere, so I returned it to the store. 

Still needing a multi-function printer, I paid the extra money to get the next model up.  The "8500 wireless" demo in the store had a similar problem and I had installed a "premier" version elsewhere already that didn't have the problem.  This 8500 premier appears to be just fine.

Maybe someone else had similar experience with these models?  I would have bought a multifunction laser but was concerned that consumables would get expensive.  This is just for home & school use.  I have a bid out on an HP 2840 AIO on EBay, just in case. :-)
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Matthew Udovich

I had a similar experience yesterday, setting a wireless one up at a producers home. The set was actually smooth, wirlessly to the network and then from a laptop with a wireless connection. The machine works great, you can scan with three clicks on a touch screen right to the laptop with a wire!!! However, the squeal that this machines emits is not fun. I have it RMA'd, I'll see what noise the next one makes.

Hans Manhave

Maybe the RMA replacements are refurbished to have the squeal removed.

It is a pretty nice unit.  Scans to network locations, to memory cards.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Matthew Udovich

RMA unit arived, 20 minuted to align printer and viola!! No Noise!! ;D