Main Menu

Wanted: Ark

Started by Jim Jensen, April 21, 2011, 02:24:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeorgeW

This is our normal entrance to our office.  We are having to come in through a recycling center scrap yard to get to work today. And, the river is still rising. Probably won't be able to access office tomorrow at all.
George Watson
AssuredPartners NL, Louisville, KY
Epic 2022 R2, MU2

GeorgeW

This is looking from the front of our building.  That is a park.....there is not supposed to be any water there!!
George Watson
Epic 2022 R2, MU2

Charlie Charbonneau

What are you talking about George, that log was headed right for your front door!!!  Don't you remember Frogger????   Jump NOW!!!  Crazy, hope it recedes soon!
Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

EPIC 2022, CSR24, Windows 2012 Hyper-V & 2016, Win10/11 Pro Stations, Sophos Anti-Virus.
.                .                 ..              ...

Gene Foraker

My personal Ark is scheduled to launch May 10.   Much later than usual this year, I thought there would be plenty of time to get her ready.   

It has rained for the past few weeks almost every day.   Now I'll probably have to take some days off to wax, paint and get her ready.
Gene Foraker CPCU
Gates-Foraker Insurance Agency
Norton, OH

My posts are a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

DebAmstutz

Quote from: George Watson on April 26, 2011, 09:57:23 AM
That is a park.....there is not supposed to be any water there!!

They've put parks in designated flood plains here and it has worked out very well.  Yeah, they get flooded but now there are no homes/businesses getting flooded.  The auto dealer where a cousin of mine worked just down the road from here moved to a different location and the buildings were demolished and the area is now park area since that location flooded often after heavy rains.  It's better to have standing water where nobody needs to be standing!
Deb Amstutz
Back in the TAM saddle again

GeorgeW

Yeah, that area is all parks, so not really hurting anything. Just down the road though there are houses and businesses under water! This is the worst flooding in the area in many years.
George Watson
Epic 2022 R2, MU2

Jim Jensen

Quote from: George Watson on April 26, 2011, 03:11:59 PM
Yeah, that area is all parks, so not really hurting anything. Just down the road though there are houses and businesses under water! This is the worst flooding in the area in many years.

I used to have a wide-format photo of flooding in Louisville back in the 1930s or so. My granfather went down to Jeffersonville to help with the Red Cross aid and somehow got a hold of a photo showing the flooded area near the river - nasty bad flood.  Back before flood control. Gave it away to a former client that was from there or her dad took the photo - don't remember which.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Lance Bateman

They did the same thing in Hilo with the tsunami zone area.

Quote from: DebAmstutz on April 26, 2011, 02:52:32 PM
Quote from: George Watson on April 26, 2011, 09:57:23 AM
That is a park.....there is not supposed to be any water there!!

They've put parks in designated flood plains here and it has worked out very well.  Yeah, they get flooded but now there are no homes/businesses getting flooded.  The auto dealer where a cousin of mine worked just down the road from here moved to a different location and the buildings were demolished and the area is now park area since that location flooded often after heavy rains.  It's better to have standing water where nobody needs to be standing!

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Lance Bateman on April 26, 2011, 03:28:44 PM

I thought they built Hilo Hattie stores on those sites!   ;D
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Lance Bateman

LOL!  Sure, that way the tourists (that buy matching outfits, of all things) get hit first?  Nope, Hilo made parks out of the areas that were hit so badly in 1948 and 1961.

Quote from: Jeff Zylstra on April 26, 2011, 03:38:54 PM
Quote from: Lance Bateman on April 26, 2011, 03:28:44 PM

I thought they built Hilo Hattie stores on those sites!   ;D

brinkerdana

Quote from: George Watson on April 26, 2011, 09:55:16 AM
This is our normal entrance to our office.  We are having to come in through a recycling center scrap yard to get to work today. And, the river is still rising. Probably won't be able to access office tomorrow at all.

Hope the water recedes before you all have to boat in.  Hope your disaster plan is up to date!
Dana Brinkerhoff
Retired

Jim Jensen

Too bad Gene is in NE Ohio instead of SW. He could launch early, come down the Ohio R. and ferry you in/out. That would be users helping users!
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Marie (Zionkowski) Gozikowski

Hey, if you ever get a lead on those arks, let me know too! 

We have had steady, heavy rain for most of April.  Now
severe storms the last 2 days have caused flooding, with more
headed our way tonight... wind claims, water claims, even
a few mudslides (VERY rare here).

If April showers bring May flowers, we ought to have a
very pretty spring :-)
Marie (Zionkowski) Gozikowski
Iddings Insurance Agency
Wyalusing, PA
WinTAM 11.1    SBS 2003 
8 users

Billy Welsh

Article the other day in the local paper - the Mississippi River in New Orleans is nearing "flood stage" (which is not actually a flood event - not sure why that term is used but I am sure there is a reason) due NOT to snow melting (the typical reason for high river levels in spring) but because of all the rain you guys and the midwest have been hammered with.

Hope you have clear skies soon!
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect

GeorgeW

Well sometime today all access to our building will be covered by water. They are sending us home at noon to work for the rest of the week.  And...the rain keeps falling!!  
George Watson
Epic 2022 R2, MU2