Main Menu

Wanted: Ark

Started by Jim Jensen, April 21, 2011, 02:24:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Jensen

Looking for an ark. Can be new or used, must be seaworthy. WIFI-capable preferred, so water damage claims can be timely reported. WIll consider trade for a car.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Bloody Jack Kidd

Sysadmin - Parallel42

brinkerdana

Quote from: Jim Jensen on April 21, 2011, 02:24:32 PM
Looking for an ark. Can be new or used, must be seaworthy. WIFI-capable preferred, so water damage claims can be timely reported. WIll consider trade for a car.

You can use the one we built during last winter!
Dana Brinkerhoff
Retired

Jim Jensen

Quote from: Rick Chisholm on April 21, 2011, 03:07:21 PM
expecting some rain?

More than 'some' I think. We've already been saturated with a lot recently and expecting more heavy rain tomorrow and chance of rain every day through next Wednesday.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Alice

Sounds like you need a break.  Ever consider the desert?   8)

Jim Jensen

Quote from: Alice on April 21, 2011, 03:45:39 PM
Sounds like you need a break.  Ever consider the desert?   8)

If it's like last year. That will come in August. No need to move, just wait a while. Last year was extremely wet in Spring - oversaturated, then a drought in the summer - bad enough that there's a lot of dead grass that went beyond dormant.
Jim Jensen
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Alice

meant just long enough for you to dry out  ;)
one really needs to love the heat to stay here.

Jim Jensen

More heavy rain today and tonight - sounds more like snow forecasts any more. 2.5" to 5.5" possible through tonight. If this keeps up, I'll be handling claims on the WIFI ark from Memphis in a couple of days and New Orleans a couple more after that. Maybe we'll navigate around the gulf to Charlie's way.
Jim Jensen
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

DebAmstutz

The corn acreage planted in our region is way down.  Normally about 20% of the corn is in the ground and growing by now.  I think I heard that 2% has been done in Indiana so far.  Ohio has 0% in the ground.  Besides the saturation with rain, the soil is too cold for good seed germination.  It needs to warm up as well as dry up for the farmers to be able to get planting.  Years ago it was not uncommon to begin corn planting after April, but it has become more and more the rule rather than the exception to start ASAP after turning the calendar to April.
Deb Amstutz
Back in the TAM saddle again

GeorgeW

Our Corporate office is on River Road in Louisville, KY, so very near the Ohio River. With the current flooding we have water blocking the roads and entrance to our building. We currently can get access by going behind some other buildings further down the road. They're  thinking by tomorrow or Wednesday we may not be able to access the building at all.

Rain go away!!!!!
George Watson
AssuredPartners NL, Louisville, KY
Epic 2022 R2, MU2

Bob

Any comfort Jim, remember when I was posting back in March 24/31 days in March were heavy rain!  Dana knows by her post.  Just your turn now!   ;)

Jim Jensen

Rain through Thursday morning now. George is in the area that definitely has it worse. The further north in Indiana you are, the better off right now. Looks like we're headed for a wettest April ever. Already at #10 with 3 more days of rain to come, maybe more, depending on when the weekend rain arrives.

With our heavy clay soil doesn't go well with lots of water. Deb, the fields here are untouched. I saw a tractor Saturday with its disc array attached, going down the road, but I don't think he could have been turning any soil anywhere.
Jim Jensen
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Jan Regnier

We have standing water in the backyard....so wet the golf course can't mow either.  A rainy November April is not good!  It would be somewhat tolerable if it was at least warm temps....but 40-50ยบ and rain does not work for me!
Jan Regnier
jan.regnier@meyersglaros.com
Meyers Glaros Group, Merrillville, IN 26 Users
EPIC 2020, Office 365, Indio

DebAmstutz

The only place I saw activity in fields was in northwestern Indiana on the way to Chicago on April 12.  Our area has a lot of clay too, so the wetness from the rain tends to hang on awhile.  If the temps would be higher, the grass would grow faster and we'd be looking at baling the grass in yards here once it could be cut!
Deb Amstutz

brinkerdana

We have adobe clay so ran runs off.  I'm beginning to think that our rainy season will be ending soon.  It makes Northern California beautiful, green hillsides, wild flowers everywhere, water to drink, but if it doesn't stop soon, it will also create a lot of grass and brush for fire food later in the summer.

I'm done with winter.  Now if Ma Nature would only cooperate!
Dana Brinkerhoff
Retired

GeorgeW

This is our normal entrance to our office.  We are having to come in through a recycling center scrap yard to get to work today. And, the river is still rising. Probably won't be able to access office tomorrow at all.
George Watson
Epic 2022 R2, MU2

GeorgeW

This is looking from the front of our building.  That is a park.....there is not supposed to be any water there!!
George Watson
Epic 2022 R2, MU2

Charlie Charbonneau

What are you talking about George, that log was headed right for your front door!!!  Don't you remember Frogger????   Jump NOW!!!  Crazy, hope it recedes soon!
Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

EPIC 2022, CSR24, Windows 2012 Hyper-V & 2016, Win10/11 Pro Stations, Sophos Anti-Virus.
.                .                 ..              ...

Gene Foraker

My personal Ark is scheduled to launch May 10.   Much later than usual this year, I thought there would be plenty of time to get her ready.   

It has rained for the past few weeks almost every day.   Now I'll probably have to take some days off to wax, paint and get her ready.
Gene Foraker CPCU
Gates-Foraker Insurance Agency
Norton, OH

My posts are a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

DebAmstutz

Quote from: George Watson on April 26, 2011, 09:57:23 AM
That is a park.....there is not supposed to be any water there!!

They've put parks in designated flood plains here and it has worked out very well.  Yeah, they get flooded but now there are no homes/businesses getting flooded.  The auto dealer where a cousin of mine worked just down the road from here moved to a different location and the buildings were demolished and the area is now park area since that location flooded often after heavy rains.  It's better to have standing water where nobody needs to be standing!
Deb Amstutz

GeorgeW

Yeah, that area is all parks, so not really hurting anything. Just down the road though there are houses and businesses under water! This is the worst flooding in the area in many years.
George Watson
Epic 2022 R2, MU2

Jim Jensen

Quote from: George Watson on April 26, 2011, 03:11:59 PM
Yeah, that area is all parks, so not really hurting anything. Just down the road though there are houses and businesses under water! This is the worst flooding in the area in many years.

I used to have a wide-format photo of flooding in Louisville back in the 1930s or so. My granfather went down to Jeffersonville to help with the Red Cross aid and somehow got a hold of a photo showing the flooded area near the river - nasty bad flood.  Back before flood control. Gave it away to a former client that was from there or her dad took the photo - don't remember which.
Jim Jensen
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Lance Bateman

They did the same thing in Hilo with the tsunami zone area.

Quote from: DebAmstutz on April 26, 2011, 02:52:32 PM
Quote from: George Watson on April 26, 2011, 09:57:23 AM
That is a park.....there is not supposed to be any water there!!

They've put parks in designated flood plains here and it has worked out very well.  Yeah, they get flooded but now there are no homes/businesses getting flooded.  The auto dealer where a cousin of mine worked just down the road from here moved to a different location and the buildings were demolished and the area is now park area since that location flooded often after heavy rains.  It's better to have standing water where nobody needs to be standing!

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Lance Bateman on April 26, 2011, 03:28:44 PM

I thought they built Hilo Hattie stores on those sites!   ;D
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Lance Bateman

LOL!  Sure, that way the tourists (that buy matching outfits, of all things) get hit first?  Nope, Hilo made parks out of the areas that were hit so badly in 1948 and 1961.

Quote from: Jeff Zylstra on April 26, 2011, 03:38:54 PM
Quote from: Lance Bateman on April 26, 2011, 03:28:44 PM

I thought they built Hilo Hattie stores on those sites!   ;D

brinkerdana

Quote from: George Watson on April 26, 2011, 09:55:16 AM
This is our normal entrance to our office.  We are having to come in through a recycling center scrap yard to get to work today. And, the river is still rising. Probably won't be able to access office tomorrow at all.

Hope the water recedes before you all have to boat in.  Hope your disaster plan is up to date!
Dana Brinkerhoff
Retired

Jim Jensen

Too bad Gene is in NE Ohio instead of SW. He could launch early, come down the Ohio R. and ferry you in/out. That would be users helping users!
Jim Jensen
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Marie (Zionkowski) Gozikowski

Hey, if you ever get a lead on those arks, let me know too! 

We have had steady, heavy rain for most of April.  Now
severe storms the last 2 days have caused flooding, with more
headed our way tonight... wind claims, water claims, even
a few mudslides (VERY rare here).

If April showers bring May flowers, we ought to have a
very pretty spring :-)
Iddings Insurance Agency
Wyalusing, PA
WinTAM 11.1    SBS 2003 
8 users

Billy Welsh

Article the other day in the local paper - the Mississippi River in New Orleans is nearing "flood stage" (which is not actually a flood event - not sure why that term is used but I am sure there is a reason) due NOT to snow melting (the typical reason for high river levels in spring) but because of all the rain you guys and the midwest have been hammered with.

Hope you have clear skies soon!
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect

GeorgeW

Well sometime today all access to our building will be covered by water. They are sending us home at noon to work for the rest of the week.  And...the rain keeps falling!!  
George Watson
Epic 2022 R2, MU2

Charlie Charbonneau

Wow scary stuff George!  Make sure those servers are good and high!!!   Hopefully it's just access to your building that is in danger and not the actual building itself!  On a hill???
Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

EPIC 2022, CSR24, Windows 2012 Hyper-V & 2016, Win10/11 Pro Stations, Sophos Anti-Virus.

GeorgeW

Our building is safe. 3 of the 6 of us in the IT dept. have been staying overnight since Sunday. The 3 staying tonight will most likely be trapped for a number of days.  I'm going home to work!  :)
George Watson
Epic 2022 R2, MU2

GeorgeW

Well we've just been told we have to be out of here by 1pm. They are barricading the road and the police will not let anyone in or out. If they do let you out they will most likely give you a ticket!  Headed home!
George Watson
Epic 2022 R2, MU2

Charlie Charbonneau

+1 Karma just because now would be a good time to have some on your side!!!
Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

Alice

What Charlie said.
+1 - be safe!

Jim Jensen

Quote from: Billy Welsh on April 27, 2011, 10:25:42 AM
Article the other day in the local paper - the Mississippi River in New Orleans is nearing "flood stage" (which is not actually a flood event - not sure why that term is used but I am sure there is a reason) due NOT to snow melting (the typical reason for high river levels in spring) but because of all the rain you guys and the midwest have been hammered with.

Hope you have clear skies soon!

Billy, we're a very generous group of people in the Midwest - always willing to share with those downstream. Some of the farmers may even send along some fertilizer with the water. Heck, if it keeps up in the Ohio Valley, you may be collecting building materials to build a new raft.
Jim Jensen
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Jim Jensen

Quote from: Marie Long on April 27, 2011, 09:51:53 AM
Hey, if you ever get a lead on those arks, let me know too! 

We have had steady, heavy rain for most of April.  Now
severe storms the last 2 days have caused flooding, with more
headed our way tonight... wind claims, water claims, even
a few mudslides (VERY rare here).

If April showers bring May flowers, we ought to have a
very pretty spring :-)

Maybe it's time to work on the AU Ark (a new logo in the making?). Gene can be our captain, Bob will be the BBQ guy, we'll pick up George from home, then Billy as we float downstream and when all is said and done, Deb can have the fertiziler for her family's farms.
Jim Jensen
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

DebAmstutz

Quote from: Jim Jensen on April 27, 2011, 02:32:12 PM
...and when all is said and done, Deb can have the fertiziler for her family's farms.

Nobody can use it right now...nothing's planted due to the wet and (up until yesterday) cold weather!  But thanks for the offer!  I know some of the people here are really good at slinging......ummmm.....fertilizer!  ;)
Deb Amstutz

Maybe it's time to work on the AU Ark (a new logo in the making?). Gene can be our captain, Bob will be the BBQ guy, we'll pick up George from home, then Billy as we float downstream and when all is said and done, Deb can have the fertilizer for her family's farms.

Love it Jim :-)    Users helping users.....swim  ;D
Iddings Insurance Agency
Wyalusing, PA
WinTAM 11.1    SBS 2003 
8 users

Billy Welsh

Maybe it's time to work on the AU Ark (a new logo in the making?). Gene can be our captain, Bob will be the BBQ guy, we'll pick up George from home, then Billy as we float downstream and when all is said and done, Deb can have the fertiziler for her family's farms.

I'm in, as soon as you tell me there is a good bartender.   :o
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect

Bob

Quote from: Billy Welsh on April 27, 2011, 03:53:23 PM

I'm in, as soon as you tell me there is a good bartender.   :o

Andy's Bartending!   ;D

Lance Bateman

Anywhere near Eubank, KY?  That's where my son and his wife are

Quote from: George Watson on April 27, 2011, 12:02:32 PM
Well we've just been told we have to be out of here by 1pm. They are barricading the road and the police will not let anyone in or out. If they do let you out they will most likely give you a ticket!  Headed home!

DebAmstutz

Wow, the sun is out and the Bartlett pears along the street are in bloom and it's beautiful...for now!  There was a tornado warning in the county to the south of me last night and radar had the storm coming up near me but there was just some lightning and thunder and rain...I guess Ohio had more wind and such.  They said the line of storms got stronger when it headed east.  Highs today here only in the low 50s, though.  I'm wondering when I'll be able to wear short sleeves.
Deb Amstutz

Sherry Burrell

Deb,

We lost our last Bartlett pear tree 2 weeks ago when we had high winds.  They are pretty, but they smell terrible and are very weak.  We had 3 large ones in our front yard when we bought the house 16 years ago, now none.  I think the developer in our subdivision got a deal on them because most houses had at least one - now there are very few still standing.

We had some mighty tornadoes last night through here.  Fortunately no one I know of - yet - had any damage.  They went north and south of Atlanta, missed the Metro area for the most part.

Talked to a friend this morning because her street was specifically mentioned in the tornado warnng report, but other than no power and phone line down - no problems.
Sherry Burrell
Oakbridge Insurance Agency-Duluth GA
Epic 2022 Online w/CSR24, 6 users

Hans Manhave

People like the non-producing Bradford pear trees here.  They bloom for three days and are done for the year.  No pears.  They break easily and often, but have a pretty "classic" tree shape, medium height.  Until parts get blown off, break etc. 
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Jan Regnier

Quote from: HMan on April 28, 2011, 10:12:07 AM
People like the non-producing Bradford pear trees here.  They bloom for three days and are done for the year.  No pears.  They break easily and often, but have a pretty "classic" tree shape, medium height.  Until parts get blown off, break etc.  

We have the same experience with them.  We have a couple in our yard and our daughter has 4 in her front yard and this past year they have really been falling apart!  They are all in the 12+ year age range.
They are very pretty in the spring...but they are very messy in the fall.  Unfortunately we have one close to the pool and the deck is always a mess in the fall.
Jan Regnier

GeorgeW

Working from home the rest of the week.  My boss does have a canoe at work and he might have to use it because he needs get out of the building for a personal obligation....hope he takes pictures!

Fun trying to assist a hundred or so people who have never logged in remotely to our system and who, let's say, aren't the most computer literate people!  :)

I hate to admit it Lance, but I don't even know where Eubanks KY is!!   :o
George Watson
Epic 2022 R2, MU2

Wow George...

Assisting 100 people with remote login does NOT sound like a great way to spend the day... you must be about ready to rip your phone out of the wall!  Good luck to you out there... sounds bad :-(
Iddings Insurance Agency
Wyalusing, PA
WinTAM 11.1    SBS 2003 
8 users

Lance Bateman

With the storms - is it time y'all are asking for a floating storm shelter also?
(I remember in Oklahoma, every so often we'd get a twister that would even rip up the pavement from the street or the interstate).

Y'all have my empathy - I don't remember hearing of so many deaths in one day of storms.  Hope all are okay?

GeorgeW

Mother Nature is being nice today! Sunshine!  The water has started receding and they think we will be able to access the building again tomorrow through the Recycling scrap yard we were using before. I got a flat the first day driving through there and another IT guy got one yesterday...fun!!

I guess the flooding is better than all the tornado's down south today.  We did have some tornado touchdowns around our area, but nothing near work.

Hope everyone is safe!
George Watson
Epic 2022 R2, MU2

brinkerdana

Just saw pictures on the news from Alabama.  Real devastation down there.  Hope everyone in the storms path makes it without too much damage.

Dana Brinkerhoff
Retired

Alice

Quote from: Jim Jensen on April 21, 2011, 02:24:32 PM

We could make a few of these  ;D

Lance Bateman

I'd just hate to have to carry the vacuum cleaner, laundry, etc. up and down those steps it must have!!!

Jim Jensen

Quote from: Lance Bateman on April 28, 2011, 10:02:53 PM
I'd just hate to have to carry the vacuum cleaner, laundry, etc. up and down those steps it must have!!!

Not to mention the groceries every week. And what a pain to let the dog out!
Jim Jensen
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Jan Regnier

Maybe it has an elevator!  Looks like it has a fireplace....but there's a window in line with the chimney?
Jan Regnier

Charlie Charbonneau

<hijack> Looks like it has the makings of the Burrow... July 15th folks!  </hijack>
Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

Lance Bateman

YEAH!!!  Can't wait.

Quote from: Charlie Charbonneau on April 29, 2011, 10:15:25 AM
<hijack> Looks like it has the makings of the Burrow... July 15th folks!  </hijack>

Jim Jensen

Back to the ark...No flooding locally, but the Wabash River is way out of it's banks into Illinois where I saw it Saturday. The Ohio R. is getting George and the Army Corp. of Engineers is ready to blast a levee south of Cairo, IL to relieve pressure on other levees. I hope not to be a dinosaur if there is an ark.

I drove through Cairo, IL last year to see what it's like since we were driving by there anyway. The flood wall there is huge and the water is up within a few feet of the top. Threat of 18-20' deep flooding if it fails or is over-topped. It's a rather sad looking town now, in general, compared to what it must have been in the past. The bridge over the Mississippi there is a bit intimidating - very old steel truss and narrow - 1 lane in each direction. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:P6190061(Cairo-IL_Ohio_R_Bridge).JPG
Jim Jensen
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Lance Bateman

I don't live in that part of the country - but I've always wondered if building those big dikes just make the floods on the other side or downstream worse?

Gene Foraker

Quote from: Lance Bateman on May 02, 2011, 04:30:05 PM
I don't live in that part of the country - but I've always wondered if building those big dikes just make the floods on the other side or downstream worse?

They absolutely do. 
Gene Foraker CPCU
Gates-Foraker Insurance Agency
Norton, OH

My posts are a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Jim Jensen

Quote from: Lance Bateman on May 02, 2011, 04:30:05 PM

In short, yes. That's why today there are so many restrictions on building in flood zones. I'd say the biggest reason they are there is because there was so much building without control before that they get built in order to protect what's already there. You can end up with a "jonesing" effect - because your levee makes my area more susceptible to flood, I'll build a bigger one and so on down the waterway. The decision to breach the levee in Missouri near the confluence of OH & MS rivers caused a quick appeal to the US Supremes, fighting over whether the Engineers had the authority to flood the MO area to protect Cairo and other areas. Those in the area to be intentionally flooded aren't too happy, but it's a measurement of where it will cause the least amount of damage. Either way someone's getting flooded, let's decide where the total damage is minimized.

The area I saw flooded from the Wabash actually is causing little damage as the Gov't paid $$ to change it back from crop fields to trees and grasses. Very little to damage now. There were a small number of houses left, but not many. FEMA finally paid off in the long run there - pay them more once instead of paying time after time. That's happening here in some towns too - FEMA & local officials buying out houses that flooded and they cannot be redeveloped, even it fill dirt is added. They must remain as parks or other unused property so FEMA doesn't pay again in the future.
Jim Jensen
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis