Error with Exchange Profile while attaching emails

Started by Andrew Carrick, April 14, 2011, 05:50:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Carrick

User can drag-and-drop, but for various reasons wants to use the old Attach method for some emails (don't get me started...).  After a profile problem yesterday he's now getting an error: "Profile is invalid". Is this just a case of recreating the profile again to fix?
Jelf Insurance Partnership
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
Me and TAM used to have a thing but we've split amicably. She got the kids, I got the Camaro and the maid.

John Haber-Smith

Andrew,

Why does the user feel the need to use the 'old' method of attaching emails?
John Ansell & Partners Ltd
LONDON UK
TAM 12

Andrew Carrick

Like I said, don't get me started. A host of factors, such as the fact that "you can't delete the email from your inbox as you attach it", but more pertinent things like insurers such as RSA, Aviva etc who don't use Microsoft email clients, can't open emails from us if they are forwarded out of TAM. I think it's more a case of people not wanting to Change.
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
Me and TAM used to have a thing but we've split amicably. She got the kids, I got the Camaro and the maid.

Matthew Udovich

We have this pop up from time to time as well, some folks still like the old way of attaching. I did have to recreate the mail profile, of course, that also created a new NK2 (auto complete) file for them as well, since I used a different name for the new mail profile, I simply had to search for the old nk2 file and rename it to match the new mail profile.

It's just one more thing that I didn't expect to be such a big deal, since we preach and preach that the auto complete is NOT your address book. But I'm sure you know how that goes :-)

Andrew Carrick

Ah yes, the delights...

Thanks. I'm no expert on Exchange so can you direct me to where this NK2 file will be please?

Hull, East Yorkshire, UK

Jim Jensen

Lifted from a site (while my computer continues its search for it...)

For Outlook 2003/2007 with Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows Server 2003:
The location of the nk2 file is C:\Documents and Settings\[User Profile]\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
The name of the NK2 file is identical to the Outlook profile name, with .nk2 extension.

For Outlook 2003/2007 with Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows server 2008:
The location of the nk2 file is C:\Users\[User Profile]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Outlook
The name of the NK2 file is identical to the Outlook profile name, with .nk2 extension.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Matthew Udovich

On a windows xp machine its supposed to be here, C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook , you may need to enable or show hidden files in order to find. It will be on their machine and not the server, I believe if you are using roaming profiles, you can still change this on the machine they use and it will copy back to the network share when they log off. After you create the new mail profile, and open outlook, I would verify the attaching in TAM part works, then close Outlook and go and delete the new nk2 file and rename the old nk2 file to the name the new one was using.

Hopefully I didnt leave anything out  :), been awhile since i had to do this, so my memory is grinding away  ;D

Charlie Charbonneau

There's also a post around here that offers up the delights of editing the nk2 file with a simple small download program (free of course).
Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

EPIC 2022, CSR24, Windows 2012 Hyper-V & 2016, Win10/11 Pro Stations, Sophos Anti-Virus.
.                .                 ..              ...

Andrew Carrick

Hit me with it. Renaming the file didn't work  :(

Hull, East Yorkshire, UK

Matthew Udovich

YIKES!!!  Just to double check, the old nk2 filename is the same as the new mail profile name? Correct? For instance, my mail profile is named Outlook and my nk2 is Outlook.nk2

Charlie Charbonneau

check here.... http://appliedusers.ca/forums/index.php?topic=1712.0

the old nk2 file would be the same as the old profile name not the new one.

if your old profile was "outlook" and your new profile is "Matthew"  you would rename outlook.nk2 to Matthew.nk2 
Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

EPIC 2022, CSR24, Windows 2012 Hyper-V & 2016, Win10/11 Pro Stations, Sophos Anti-Virus.
.                .                 ..              ...

Andrew Carrick

Thanks Charlie. Matthew, this user has only one account showing, user name is kward, and he has two  nk2 files in the location dicsussed, one called Outlook and one called MSExchange.
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK

Matthew Udovich

Are there time stamps associated with each or file sizes? The new one (most likely the smaller one) needs to go bye bye and the old one renamed to the same as the profile (which should be the same as the new nk2 that you deleted).

Andrew Carrick

Hull, East Yorkshire, UK

John Haber-Smith

Andrew,

I dont want to get you started, but how much of a problem is this?  Having to go back and delete emails isnt a  big problem, but how does the method of attaching in TAM change the ability of carriers to open what you send them?

We arent on 10.x yet.  I get enough resistance from my staff to doing emailing from TAM - Am I likely to face yet more resistance when we come to upgrade?  I'd really like to ban them from using outloook period but that would just cause insurrection.

Thanks
LONDON UK
TAM 12

Jim Jensen

John, you don't lose any ability to have to use the email from TAM, you simply gain the drag-and-drop method of attaching them. I will admit that the drag & drop is tough to manage if you don't have dual monitors (or a big one that acts like 2). The primary difference is just that those attached with D&D will open like they do in Outlook and you ahve the to: & cc: fields that you can forward it right away. With those attached through the file attachment process or started in TAM, you can 'send through email', but they will be a basic text file attached to an email. So formatting is very different.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Andrew Carrick

Feel free to come and see it in situ any time John. But it's like I said, some of the big insurers use non-Windows email and can't open a forwarded email. Of course there's always a work-around but if your staff are the kind who don't like change then that may be an issue. But as Jim says you don't lose any functions just gain a new one.
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK

John Haber-Smith

Thanks for your kind offer Andrew.  On my next trip to Hull........

It doesnt seem to be a big deal to me.  But there are always those who can make a BIG DEAL out of (enter your own phrase here).

LONDON UK
TAM 12