Backup to Disk not external attached to USB port

Started by Orlando Alonzo, April 11, 2011, 01:32:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orlando Alonzo

Anyone using a backup to disk solution instead of tapes? If you are, which one are you using? I'm looking for something that will work with my existing backup software (Backup Exec) and also relative quick for backups and restore. I'm starting to consider this since I will need to replace 20 Ultrium LTO tapes soon. They're pretty old, about 3 yrs old.
Orlando F. Alonzo III
RPM Insurance Agency • Staten Island, NY • oalonzo@rpminsurance.com

Bloody Jack Kidd

BE has B2D support, I'm pretty sure - but you might need something like:

http://www.dell.com/ca/business/p/disk-storage

pretty sure they are doing B2D at our main data center, but only so that they can backup to tape during production hours from that disk image.

Anytime you are giving up tape, you need to make sure the disk solution does not increase your exposure to possible data loss.
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Jan Regnier

We are using 3 WD Laptop 2.5 500GB sata harddrives for backup and we use BE 11d.  Tapes were 4 hours to back up and HDs are about 30 minutes  (they are USB drives)

Jan Regnier
jan.regnier@meyersglaros.com
Meyers Glaros Group, Merrillville, IN 26 Users
EPIC 2020, Office 365, Indio

Jeff Zylstra

We are using USB drives for offsite storage, and also simultaneously backup to another server's hard drive.   Our backup software is Acronis Backup and Recovery 10. 
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Hans Manhave

As software I'm using Folder Clone Pro.

Backing up to removable sata hard drives, the Dell RD1000 system.

As far as I have tested, it appears to all be there.  I have restored some of the files backed up and I also use them directly without restoring since it is just a plain copy (compressed NTFS).

Over the weekend I did look into just getting a sata dock and a bunch more plain (no case) sata drives as that is a lot cheaper.

Feel free to comment on this also.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Orlando Alonzo

Thanks for the input. I'm leaning towards the Iosafe drives. http://www.iosafe.com/products-solo-overview.  Fireproof and waterproof. It seems reasonably priced. The downside is not to convenient to take off site.
Orlando F. Alonzo III

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Orlando Alonzo on April 12, 2011, 09:28:34 AM
Thanks for the input. I'm leaning towards the Iosafe drives. http://www.iosafe.com/products-solo-overview.  Fireproof and waterproof. It seems reasonably priced. The downside is not to convenient to take off site.

OK - 2 TB for $229, and fireproof and waterproof too?  Am I mis-reading this?  If not, I would strongly consider dumping my old Windows 2000 server that I use as a second, on-site data storage medium, and going with one of these for on-site storage.  The only question then become whether or not having 2 USB storage devices getting written to or read from simultaneously is feasible or not.  My guess is that 2 USB devices getting simultaneous access to my server would slow things down to a crawl for backup speeds.  Anyone have any experience with this?
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Jim Jensen

I am intrigued as well. A 1TB with 5 yr warranty and service is $330 plus shipping/tax.  It has bolt-down tabs to reduce theft chances too. My biggest potential issue then would be fire (or a tornado blowing the whole place away). I'll be interested to hear what others have to say, too.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Bloody Jack Kidd

See if you can get devices with eSATA connects or USB 3.0 - faster.
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Rick Chisholm on April 12, 2011, 10:39:54 AM

That makes sense.  Just wondering how or if, either e-SATA of USB would be affected by multiple units operating simultaneously.

Gene Foraker

Yes, I have been looking at the Iosafe, too.   Looks like a winner to me.  

I am curious about software.   It seems to come with none.   It says it is compatible with Server 2003.   I think Server 2003 includes a backup utility, but would I be better running a third party software?  I know some you IT guys are going to recommend expensive software, but just how bad is the included backup in 2003?

It also seems to only support 2003 with eSATA interface.   The server is aging and I know it doesn't have an external eSATA plug, but I guess I could just use a small cable to take the SATA from the board to the back of the server.
Gene Foraker CPCU
Gates-Foraker Insurance Agency
Norton, OH

My posts are a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Gene Foraker

Quote from: Rick Chisholm on April 12, 2011, 10:39:54 AM

The Iosafe supports only those connections.  (Well of course usb 3 is back compatible with usb 2.)
Gene Foraker CPCU
Norton, OH

My posts are a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Orlando Alonzo

Jeff,

Based on my short research of the product it apparently works very well with Acronis. I believe the SoloPro has esata and usb 3.0.
Orlando F. Alonzo III

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Orlando Alonzo on April 12, 2011, 10:48:07 AM
Jeff,

Based on my short research of the product it apparently works very well with Acronis. I believe the SoloPro has esata and usb 3.0.

It looks like a great product.  Thanks, Orlando.

Brett

Hi all,

I'm the PR Director at ioSafe and wanted to say thanks for the positive comments and to address some of the points raised.

>>OK - 2 TB for $229, and fireproof and waterproof too?  Am I mis-reading this?<<

Sorry, but you are misreading it. The 1TB Solo is $229; the $2TB is $399.99

>>If not, I would strongly consider dumping my old Windows 2000 server that I use as a second, on-site data storage medium, and going with one of these for on-site storage.  The only question then become whether or not having 2 USB storage devices getting written to or read from simultaneously is feasible or not.<<

Only the eSATA version of the SoloPRO supports Windows Server.

http://www.iosafe.com/products

>>I am curious about software. It seems to come with none.<<

The SoloPRO and ioSafe Rugged Portable both ship with a copy of Genie Timeline Professional.

http://www.genie9.com/business/genie_timeline_pro/overview.aspx

Thanks again and let me know if you have any other questions!

Brett

Jim Jensen

Brett,

Can you be more specific about being "supported" on Windows Server? Is this specific that WindowServers won't recognize the drivers for the system without eSata, or is there a software compatibility issue?
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Brett

Quote from: Jim Jensen on April 12, 2011, 02:14:11 PM
Brett,

Can you be more specific about being "supported" on Windows Server? Is this specific that WindowServers won't recognize the drivers for the system without eSata, or is there a software compatibility issue?

It's hardware-related, Jim. The USB 2.0/3.0 connection may not function reliably in all Window Server environments.

Orlando Alonzo

Maybe Brett can arrange for an Applied Users group discount.  What do you say Brett?
Orlando F. Alonzo III

Brett

Quote from: Orlando Alonzo on April 12, 2011, 02:59:31 PM
Maybe Brett can arrange for an Applied Users group discount.  What do you say Brett?

I'm already speaking with Rick about the possibilities  ;)

Bloody Jack Kidd

Quote from: Brett on April 12, 2011, 03:10:48 PM
Quote from: Orlando Alonzo on April 12, 2011, 02:59:31 PM

I'm already speaking with Rick about the possibilities  ;)

I'm always looking out for you guys!
;D
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Orlando Alonzo

Orlando F. Alonzo III

KenH

I've been using Server 2003 included B/U software as a scheduled task to backup to USB External drives for a few years.  I have been very happy with the results.  The last server upgrade, I restored the data from the backup drives.  There may be better backup software, but I think in the Tape to Disk argument, Tape has no chance.
John 'Ken' Hughes

Bloody Jack Kidd

Ironed out the details with ioSafe - AU promotion info here http://mcaf.ee/fda1c

20% off select disaster proof ioSafe hardware - thanks to Brett and ioSafe.com

Sysadmin - Parallel42

Jim Jensen

Jim Jensen
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Gene Foraker

Quote from: KenH on April 12, 2011, 06:18:36 PM
I've been using Server 2003 included B/U software as a scheduled task to backup to USB External drives for a few years.  I have been very happy with the results.  The last server upgrade, I restored the data from the backup drives.  There may be better backup software, but I think in the Tape to Disk argument, Tape has no chance.

Great to hear.   Acronis may be great, but is $900.   The software I have now works OK, it was installed with the server.   Works OK, but no one has every heard of it.   Tapeware from Yosemite Technologies.   Probably no better than the Server 2003 utility, though I haven't looked into that.
Gene Foraker CPCU
Norton, OH