Server 2003 UPDATE - Printer not printing to correct trays now

Started by Jan Regnier, February 14, 2011, 05:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jan Regnier

It appears OUTSIDE of TAM printing to the correct trays works....INSIDE TAM - not so much....I ask to print to Tray 2 and it only will print to TRAY 1 (documents) - However, when I did Closeday the reports were printed from TRAY 2??????? I am totally confused on this one....still searching!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I ran the MS Server 2003 updates that have been available for several months - I was here doing some work over the week end and decided to take care of that task while I was here.
Today - while printing from TAM - the printer will not select the correct tray to print from.  We keep plain paper in the TRAY 2 and Letterhead in TRAY 1.  It only wants to print from one tray...  one or the other but not letting us select either tray when needed.

No problem on Friday....just today after that dang update.... Any Idea what I should look at that got changed?

Printer HP 4250 using HP5 driver.... :-[

Thanks....
Jan Regnier
jan.regnier@meyersglaros.com
Meyers Glaros Group, Merrillville, IN 26 Users
EPIC 2020, Office 365, Indio

Andrew Carrick

Have you checked default settings/preferences on the printer?
Jelf Insurance Partnership
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
Me and TAM used to have a thing but we've split amicably. She got the kids, I got the Camaro and the maid.

Bloody Jack Kidd

I have seen Word docs inside of TAM have some page settings that override you printer settings - so you think you are sending it to one tray and lo and behold it comes out on another.  I'm not enough of a TAM expert to say what the fix is though.
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Andrew Carrick

I wondered about that too, but if it's Close Day there isn't a document as such, it just goes straight to print.
Jelf Insurance Partnership
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
Me and TAM used to have a thing but we've split amicably. She got the kids, I got the Camaro and the maid.

Jan Regnier

Well, I THINK - I isolated it to just one particular document (which I copied and deleted the original) and printing SEEMS to be OK..... I tested from several different stations and they seem to be printing from the correct tray....hopefully that is the resolve....

That document was the 1st to be printed since the update...and we had reindex last night...hopefully the issue is resolved.
Jan Regnier

Jeff Golas

I've done hours upon hours of research into these types of issues...there's a certain hierarchy when it comes to documents, software, server, drivers, and the physical machines. Word docs where certain trays are chosen in page setup override what you choose in the driver.

Also keep in mind that most modern drivers treat trays by paper type, not by individual tray. They do this so you can mix and match what's in each tray. For example, if you have a printer with 3 trays, and you print a ton of plain paper and only some letterhead, you can dedicate 2 trays with plain and one letterhead and it'll know to pull plain from either of the first two trays. Thats how they're "supposed" to  be setup anyway.
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Jan Regnier

Thanks Jeff for the info.

We haven't had any issues since the original problem....all seems to be right in the printer world.
Jan Regnier