Hard drive wants to be initialized

Started by Mary Burger, March 02, 2011, 04:19:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mary Burger

Hello all!

I have a user whose home computer will not boot beyond the POST.  The screen goes black.  I booted with the windows XP CD and ran a repair install, but when it booted after the repair, same black screen after the post.

I took the hard drive out and hooked it up to another computer via a SATA/USB cable, and when I go into Disk management, it shows the disk there, but that it is unknown and not initialized.  It gave me a message stating that in order for disk management to recognize the disk, it has to be initialized.

Now, there is some data on this drive we want to make sure we recover.  Initializing will erase the data, I think.

What is the best way for me to get the data off of this drive?

Thanks in advance.

Mary Burger
ComputerDiva
Vancouver, WA
Mary Burger
Owner
ComputerDiva
360-567-8838
www.computerdiva.biz

Bloody Jack Kidd

bad / corrupt / missing FAT or MBR ?

not sure if fdisk /mbr will get you anywhere.

I'd like be running ddrescue or other forensic tools on it, but recovery can take many hours as in days...
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Mark

I wonder if you'd have any better luck plugging that USB port into a *nix box and trying to browse it.  If anything, maybe you'll get a better error message.  Though, you might only see something like "Unknown problem somewhere in the system." Which may or may not be useful.
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Jon Robinson

You might just be SOL.  Usually means something is wrong on the inside.  You might be able to take it to a specialized shop for HD recovery, but you are looking at some very costly services.
System Administrator
Dale Barton Agency, SLC, UT
Vision LAN 6.2
jrobinson@dalebarton.com
801-288-1600

Jeff Golas

If there's very important data to get back...you can try a product called activebootdisk but it costs a few bucks to buy. I think they have a freebie version that will show you what it CAN restore. It saved me some serious work when my laptop drive went fubared.

Oh and don't intialize it if you want the data back!
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Jeff Zylstra

Don't know if something like Spinrite would help in this situation or not, but I have had some success using it on unreadable drives. 
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Mary Burger

Thanks everyone for the ideas.  I actually plugged the drive into a different computer and had better luck.  I was able to back up all the data.  The drive did have some bad sectors, so I simply bought a new drive for the user.

Thanks again.

Mary Burger
ComputerDiva
Vancouver, WA
Mary Burger
Owner
ComputerDiva
360-567-8838
www.computerdiva.biz

Hans Manhave

In that case, the utility Jeff mentioned, SpinRite, would probably fix it and you could still use the drive reliably for something.  I have repaired quite a few drives with SpinRite, the latest being my own office workstation and none of them have failed after a repair with SpinRite.  Of course, if it is a 4GB drive of some "ancient" type it would not be worth keeping nor be worth the price of SpinRite after you have now recovered the data.  Makes a nice range target.  I recommend .22WMR.  Give it a shot.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein