Installing Tam to new server

Started by Alice, February 24, 2011, 12:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alice

Other than creating the shares on the new server and mapping the workstation to the new shares on the new server, am I supposed to do anything else before I install Tam? I received two errors during installation referring to the registry and I'm pretty sure it means on the server.
New server is Windows 2008 R2. 64-bit if that makes a difference.
Has anyone seen these?

Thanks!!

Mark Rowe

Quote from: Alice on February 24, 2011, 12:49:24 PM
Other than creating the shares on the new server and mapping the workstation to the new shares on the new server, am I supposed to do anything else before I install Tam? I received two errors during installation referring to the registry and I'm pretty sure it means on the server.
New server is Windows 2008 R2. 64-bit if that makes a difference.
Has anyone seen these?

Thanks!!

We just deployed a new server with Server 2008 and have not seen those errors. I'm not technical enough to point you in the right direction either but just wanted to share that we are not seeing that error.
Mark Rowe, CIC
Michaud, Rowe & Ruscak Insurance Associates, Inc.
North Andover, MA 01845
TAM 2014 R2, Etfile, 10 Users

Alice

That's good to know. Thanks Mark. I'll forward the errors to Applied Support on Monday. I'm spending the weekend copying the files over so I can do some testing before putting in to production the following weekend.
Is there anything you learned that you could pass on as something to be on the lookout for? I don't have server experience so I'll take any advice.
Server related advise that is... ;)

Mark Rowe

Quote from: Alice on February 25, 2011, 03:09:21 PM
I don't have server experience so I'll take any advice.

Advice:
Just do it like I did, have an outside tech (with applied experience) do it. We bought the server from him and he made it work. I took all the credit though.
Mark Rowe, CIC
Michaud, Rowe & Ruscak Insurance Associates, Inc.
North Andover, MA 01845
TAM 2014 R2, Etfile, 10 Users

Jim Jensen

It's been a few years since I did it, but when I bought our Win2003 Server, all I had to do was create the network shares and copy the Applied folder from the old server to the new one across the network. Connected to the new server from a workstation and it worked fine. Didn't have to go through any install process at all. We were probably on the Tam 8.x platform then.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Jeff Zylstra

I don't have an drives, "F:" or other, mapped on my server so I'd be inclined to think that this is referring to your workstation.  All the server has to do or should be doing regarding TAM is providing a shared folder which the workstations refer to as the "F:" drive.  

I would also check to see if this file exists on the old server (and where), and if it exists on the new server. 
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Alice

Thanks Jeff. It is missing on new server so I'm going to copy it over. Don't see how it can hurt unless I'm missing something else.

Alice

Quote from: Mark Rowe on February 25, 2011, 04:07:12 PM
Quote from: Alice on February 25, 2011, 03:09:21 PM
I don't have server experience so I'll take any advice.

Advice:
Just do it like I did, have an outside tech (with applied experience) do it. We bought the server from him and he made it work. I took all the credit though.

Our network engineer builds all of our servers...been doing it for years.  This is the first time in all the years I've been supporting Tam that I've had errors during installation. Being new to Server 2008 isn't helping me much either, but I don't see it makes a difference moving the data over. I have the instructions from Applied KB regarding moving the data to server 2008 so I feel pretty good about it. Not in panic mode just yet.

Bloody Jack Kidd

What elicits this error?  Are you trying to run asupdate or something?
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Alice

Both errors appeared at two different times when installing Tam to the new server from a workstation. So far I've copied all the files to the new server but haven't done anything else yet.  I'll start testing tomorrow after I scan/reindex the files. Server is going in to production next weekend.

Bloody Jack Kidd

the registry in question would be the local workstation... not your server.

options.xml should be g: or h: no?

i'd re-run asupdate.exe /rr
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Alice

I renamed the local Wintam directory and reran like you said. So far so good. First scan/reindex went without a hitch and took 1 hr 20 min, which is better than I expected.
Thanks Rick!

Alice

Does anyone know how to force the workstations to run asupdate /rr?  What will happen this weekend is once I copy over all the data and reindex everything, my network guy will rename the server to what the current one is so the login scripts and other stuff doesn't need to be changed. He's done this successfully with other servers we've been replacing.
I found during testing that when I remap the drives to the new server or back to the old server, I got active x errors before the Tam login came up. Had to run asupdate /rr to get rid of them.
What I'm trying to avoid come Monday morning is me going to 50+ workstations to run this. Maybe send an email with a link to run asupdate /rr if they receive errors? Any ideas?

Alice

I tried sending myself an email with a hyperlink but it keeps changing the "/rr" to "\rr" making the link fail. My first time trying this when there's a space in the link so I don't know if I can fix this to work. Any advice will be helpful.
TIA

Bloody Jack Kidd

Sysadmin - Parallel42