Main Menu

New laptop

Started by Jim Jensen, October 13, 2009, 02:43:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Jensen

My laptop is now 6 years old and starting to have issues coming back from suspense (it's a hardware problem know to the model apparently). I have a Dell D600 and have been very happy with it. I like having the point-stick instead of just the touchpad. I'm not worried about super-thin since I want CD/DVD in it. Lighter is better of course, but so is value. I'm not a road warrior to worry about lugging around all the time.

I was presuming to get another Dell Lattitude, looked at the E550(?) and E650 (numbers might be slightly off) and they look ok, but I should do some due diligence and ask about other suggestions. I had a pair of Compaqs (prior to HP merger) and had power board problems with both and didn't want that again - are Compaqs more reliable now? Don't care about widescreen or big monitors, my 14.1" has been fine for me.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Hans Manhave

An ACER Timeline series model?  http://us.acer.com/timeline/8hours1.html

We use a 14" screen one at home.  Nothing high powered, but for the price and the 8 hours it does work, it is quite nice.  I got the 14" one instead of the 15" because I thought it would require less from the battery.  No idea if that is true, but that is why I didn't do the bigger screen.

I also felt that if this broke (and it better not) I wouldn't be terribly upset if I needed to get a new one.

Works fine to check e-mail, Scrabble, FarmVille, FarmTown & MafiaWars on FaceBook also.

Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Gene Foraker

Short term sale of 15% off on Lenovo T series Thinkpads and a few other sales.  Only through 10/21.
http://info.lenovo.com/servlet/website/PersonalizedForm?sLghOhEVTTCUTUY_0opgr_.40HssEyLJpipLgmbK_EZCXAAEIkhPlLkE5

I get these sales emailed to me every week or two.

Also don't ignore the Progressive agents discount on Dells.   They really don't check to see if you are a licensed agent, a sale is a sale.
Gene Foraker CPCU
Gates-Foraker Insurance Agency
Norton, OH

My posts are a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Jim Jensen

Quote from: Gene Foraker on October 15, 2009, 03:17:45 PM

Also don't ignore the Progressive agents discount on Dells.   They really don't check to see if you are a licensed agent, a sale is a sale.

I can't find the Dell discount info on Progressive's website. Where can I find it, or is there a discount code to use? They used to only feature a couple of computers for the discount that weren't what I wanted, but I remember recently being in a special area of Dell's website for it.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Gene Foraker

I can't locate my Progressive "Foragentsonly" password here at home to go on the website for you.    I'll try to look things up Monday, but recall that you can search the Progressive agents site for Dell.
Gene Foraker CPCU
Norton, OH

My posts are a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Gene Foraker

I checked the Progressive agents site, but can't find it now.   I think it used to be under the Support > Technical Support Tab.     I checked int othe Dell Premier log in and it still works.    You could probably call Progressive to ask or check into Dell Premier to get the phone number for that department.   I'm sure they would give it to you.   The last "reference #" ID I have was LS13380154, but don't have any idea where to input that.

According to the Dell Premier page, the account rep is:
Alison Ady   Affiliates Inside Sales Representative   (800) (695) 8133   Ext. 7245422   Alison_Ady@Dell.com
Gene Foraker CPCU
Norton, OH

Jim Jensen

Thanks, I did a search in Progressive's site and referenced where to find the info (news area, I think), but when I went there, it wasn't there. I'd ask my territory manager, but, well you probably know....haven't seen her in years. We've been in our new building over 5 years and she's been in it once. It was 2 years or so after we built and she came in and said, "this is new, when'd you do this?" "Uh, 2.5 years ago - it's not so new."
Jim Jensen
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Gene Foraker

Yeah, I haven't seen a marketing rep for a long time, either, and I am only about 40 miles from their headquarters.

Under Support > Technical Support there is an email address and phone number.   That is the department I contacted several years ago when I lost the code.     

Or, you could just try the ID# for the program that I posted several posts below.    That is a code for the program, not my individual code.    I don't really  know where to input that on Dell.com since all I get now is just a place to input my email and password.   Probably just a cookie on my system.   I seem to recall that there might be a specific web page to access to sign up such as www.progressive.dell.com.   That doesn't work, but just an example.

When you get signed up, they claim it is at least a 7% discount off of their prices.   Often they run special sales where the discount is much higher.  It is called the "Dell Employee & Affiliates Purchase Program".    Other insurance companies have the same discount.

I recently purchased a 2335dn Multifunction laser printer/copier/scanner/fax for $345 with free shipping and 4 year warranty included.    List is $449 with a $90 sale now going on.   Shipping and extra warranty extra.   We are very happy with it.

Gene Foraker CPCU
Norton, OH

Jim Jensen

I finally called Progressive tech support and they said 'no more discounts with Dell'. SOL.
Jim Jensen
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Gene Foraker

Strange, since Dell still gives one to me based on my log-in.
Gene Foraker CPCU
Norton, OH

Jim Jensen

Quote from: Gene Foraker on October 30, 2009, 11:27:52 AM
Strange, since Dell still gives one to me based on my log-in.

Lucky you, I guess. Maybe I should Dell and ask them. I don't care what Prog says if Dell will still give it.
Jim Jensen
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Gene Foraker

Dell calls it the "Employee Purchase Program".   No real reference to Progressive any more.
Gene Foraker CPCU
Norton, OH

Jim Jensen

I finally called Casey @ Dell for a quote and believe it or not, it came out $60 higher than the online configuration. Boy, that's some discount from Progressive   ???.  I checked the specs against what she set up and the only difference is that she set it with a 2-year onsite warranty, where I could only select the 3 year warranty and chose mail-in rather than onsite, but that should be about a wash.

It looks like they just changed to widescreen monitors only too. I was certain that last week I could choose regular aspect, but maybe not. I mentioned that Lenovo's price was about $300 less for the same setup and she said if I sent it, they would match it, but one reason I was preferring Dell over Lenovo was regular aspect monitors. We went to OfficeMax and looked at the laptops there to see the size of them with the widescreen monitors and the 14" display is shorter. The 15" widescreen unit looked really big in comparison the 14 regular aspect I've been getting in the past.
Jim Jensen
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Jim Jensen

Progressive posted a new link for discounts on Dell computers: http://premier.dell.com/portal/fullcatalog.aspx?c=US&l=en&s=biz&cs=RC1205759

I don't know if the pricing is better than my attempt last Fall, but at least it is an "official" discount this time.
Jim Jensen
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Jeff Golas

If you want a nice laptop on the thin side that'll last forever - Lenovo T series all the way! Look at the T500.
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com