Backup

Started by Mark Rowe, December 10, 2010, 10:48:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob

Yes but only as tip for faster restore assuming server was functional.   Shadow copy is great!  Think of it like XP system restore points but on the server it's broken down far more to folder level.   

You can right click any network folder, properties, then click tab "Previous Versions" and it will list backups of this folder with date and time.  Click any and restore and done.

It's a feature most should use and most probably unaware.  Doesn't replace need of off site backup and other plans, but fastest way to restore and fix.   I often resort to this for backups to TAM vs. complete backup before doing an upgrade.  Server takes snapshots all day and makes folder restore points.  As I look now today has 3 different snap shots I can restore too and not even over.  Most backups you'll miss a days work..  This maybe few hours.. Depending on how you set up and how much space you have.  Today media is dirt cheap..   :)

Robin Deatherage

Robin Deatherage, CIC
Chas. Lunsford Sons & Associates | Roanoke, VA
Applied Private Cloud Server; TAM 2014; Fax@vantage v9; Office 2010;
Applied Hosted Exchange; 3 Office Locations

GeorgeW

We use shadow copy, it's great!
George Watson
AssuredPartners NL, Louisville, KY
Epic 2022 R2, MU2

Charlie Charbonneau

+1 for Shadow Copies!
Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

EPIC 2022, CSR24, Windows 2012 Hyper-V & 2016, Win10/11 Pro Stations, Sophos Anti-Virus.
.                .                 ..              ...

Bloody Jack Kidd

Quote from: Charlie Charbonneau on December 16, 2010, 02:07:35 PM
+1 for Shadow Copies!

ditto - one of the few areas where M$ would actually score karma from me!
Sysadmin - Parallel42