CAN transactions - radical idea

Started by Andrew Carrick, December 03, 2010, 08:02:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Carrick

Our users seem to have a lot of trouble understanding how CAN transactions work. We don't want CAN as the policy status, and we don't want zero premiums on billing screens - those are our Procedures, for reporting purposes. And despite regular reminders, and involvement of managers, these errors still occur.

I'm tempted to somehow get them away from the CAN and just use -EN instead. From an accounts point of view we don't need to identify cancellation transactions. I could edit the field description in FLDS.DBF, to e.g. "do not use".

Anybody got an opinion, or know if this would cause any other knock-on effects?
Jelf Insurance Partnership
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
Me and TAM used to have a thing but we've split amicably. She got the kids, I got the Camaro and the maid.

Hans Manhave

You could create a user defined transaction "TRC" or something more suitable for your environment and adjust all the actions you want to occur (i.e. don't zero premium).  People could be trained to understand that if they enter a negative number, a credit is created and if they entered a positive number, a charge is added to their account.

We use many status codes other than CAN.  We do not set premium to zero either.

I have a code for LAPsed but rewritten days or weeks later (I don't consider those NEW).  I need to track prior periods premium for years so we create new policies and new billing screens.  The old (expired) ones are statused in such a way that it is obvious that they were renewed etc.  It is all up to your creativity and need.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Andrew Carrick

Thanks Hans. My concern was that CAN is a system code, not a user defined one so I didn't like to tinker with it without some prior knowledge.
Jelf Insurance Partnership
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
Me and TAM used to have a thing but we've split amicably. She got the kids, I got the Camaro and the maid.

Jeff Zylstra

Look over the list of transaction codes for something more appropriate.  There is REW for rewrites if that is what you would like to do, and we use CRA and CRD for Cancel Rewrite Agency or Direct bill since those hit 2 different GL accounts and REW wasn't working for us.  I believe that CRA and CRD are custom transaction codes that were setup through accounting setup, where you can tell what GL account to affect and how, and also if you want premiums changed on the billing screen or not.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Bob

We use several user defined transactions for cancellations to help better track and identify.

CWE = Canceled went elsewhere
CSP = Canceled sold property
CRW = Canceled Rewritten

Some examples..  :)

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Bob Connor on December 03, 2010, 02:59:52 PM
We use several user defined transactions for cancellations to help better track and identify.

CWE = Canceled went elsewhere
CSP = Canceled sold property
CRW = Canceled Rewritten

Some examples..  :)

Are these status' codes for billing screens, or are they actual transactions?  I have to kick myself to remind me which is which sometimes.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Bob

Both!  Forget who helped me set them up..  I can't take credit..  Could have been Todd, Renee or even Applied.